Using Cubasis with Access Virus Ti

I am not currently a Cubasis user so please be patient with me on my vocabulary here.

I have recently purchased a Access Virus TI2 and I am hoping to use keyboard in live situation and load multiple midi channels (12 to 16) in ios app to have easy access to sounds in Virus through Midi or USB. I hope to use Cubasis to select channels and control volumes etc. I am wondering if anyone here can confirm that use of Virus is possible in cubasis and maybe point me in direction of making this happen?

Hope this isn’t to vague please ask me any questions so I can clarify my needs
Thanks
Kenny

Hi kzarider,

I am hoping to use keyboard in live situation
You will play midi tracks with cubasis in live situation ?
…and load multiple midi channels (12 to 16) in ios app to have easy access to sounds in Virus through Midi or USB.
Yes, it’s possible. Assign on midi track midi input/output “1-16” or “All” midi channels.
…I hope to use Cubasis to select channels and control volumes etc.
To control volumes you can use the midi CC data 0-128 you will find inside the midi editor on the left side.
On the midi setup page you can activate “send midi clock” and you can adjustment the midi clock output latency to be in sync with external midi devices and internal midi apps.
best
jan

Thanks so much for reply Jan, I have a roland midi adapter on order so hope to try next week. I guess I was unsure how to communicate with keyboard and load sounds as on Virus this is done through VST Control plug I run in Cubase. I will hopefully experiment after I return from doing a couple of clinics.
will play midi tracks with cubasis in live situation ?
I am not looking to do that now, I just want easy way currently to have access to sounds and switch/combine them easily

Hi Kzarider,

here are some infos :

http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/files/PRODUCTS/Apps/Cubasis/Cubasis_Help/INSPECTOR.html#

http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/files/PRODUCTS/Apps/Cubasis/Cubasis_Help/ED_MIDI.html#

http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/files/PRODUCTS/Apps/Cubasis/Cubasis_Help/SETUP.html#

best
jan

Fellow Virus user here… so here is some shortform help…:slight_smile:

a) to use live with an ipad you will need to use the virus in midi mode… usb/midi will not work with the Virus from the iPad as it is not class compliant.
b) I would suggest to set the Virus to multi mode, and setup all of your patches, volumes pans etc directly in the multi-mode setup. You can then store the multi in one of several locations in the Virus… iirc (thin ice) the first 16 slots of RAM-A correspond to multi 0… so you can setup using virus control if you wish then re-save multi 0 to a different multi slot…(again thats iirc…its been some long months since i did this…)
c) when playing back from cubasis, you would still have control of automation of some parameters such as cutoff, resonance, etc…you will find a CC list in the Virus forums.

hope that gets ayou a head start…

oh…checkout the iconnectmidi4 midi hub if you willbe using more tahn just the virus…

cheers, Ian

[/quote][/quote]
Thanks, I was wondering about the iconnect, Are you using it currently? Will it transmit data to multiple computers both PC-Apple and iOS at the same time? That would be wonderful
Kenny

Yes its the basis of my non PC rig…

currently i have an old ipad1 connected to USB 1, an Ipad air connected to USB 2 and a PC connected to USB 3. The DIN ports randomly have a Virus, a Nova and an MC-808 attached. The USB host port i use for either a midi foot controller or a USB keyboard controller.

You can route, map and filter ports, map & filter channels and filter & map midi commands… its very flexible. eg you can re-map of channels (handy for sampletank) and midi commands (remap single CC to different CCs for cutoff on different synths in particular)… the computer setup utility is decent… but requires brain effort.

Must mention that the USB host port ONLY supports USB-midi. This IMO is a poor design choice as you lose audio when you plug an ipad direct to a USB port, ie…you must stream audio to a computer… So, if you wish to use this standalone, or with other iPads, or dont wish to use crappy asio4all driver on a PC, you need to run your iPad to a powered USB hub, run audio interface off this, and run one USB port to the iConnectMidi4… This is how my setup runs, but you lose the iPad charging as a result.

ipad1 > USB1 (direct…midi only)
ipad air > USB hub
USB hub > iconnectmidi4, audio interface (Komplete Audio 6, or Scarlet 18i20), and occasionally USB midi controller for ipad only.
PC > USB3
Novation SLII (or line 6 shortboard) > USB host port
Nova > DIN 2
MC808 > DIN 3
Virus >din 4

…and midi falling all over the floor :slight_smile:

if this unit had 2 extra host ports, one of which supported audio it would be perfect, but as is, for 199 its a bargain

Thanks again! Just got one but I bought the two port instead hopefully that will be all I need and since I am going to use as live device so that should be good. $80.00 at sweetwater. I also have Midi on Motu Express for my main Kurzweil PC3K8 Controller for laptop. I can’t wait to mess with this more.

You are a life saver Ian, will share sounds when I get better with this. I need to learn how to do Multis
Kenny