Using dongle with powered USB Hub

I will weigh in to this discussion… I think Steinberg and Cubase - or maybe the E-licenser folks could improve it’s performance on Windows 10.

I have 2 computers in my studio. A windows 10 machine, and a Mac with El-capitan. I do not use both at the same time… but I do like to use Cubase Pro 8.6 on either machine. For that reason I use a powered USB Hub so that both PC’s can share similar USB devices, like Mouse, keyboard, and some universally shared MIDI controllers.

When I have the Steinberg Key plugged in to the powered Hub, the Mac has no trouble finding the key and Cubase starts up with no issues. This is NOT the case for Windows 10! For some reason, the E-licnser can’t find the Key!

What’s annoying is that It doesn’t even display an error or warning. In fact, Nothing happens. I have to open up Task manager and go and kill the Elicenser AND Cubase. Then I have to physically plug the damn key into the PC. to make it work… And sometimes I even on my PC, I have to try several USB slots until it finds one it likes!!! In my opinion, the ultimate culprit is a Service in Windows called “SYSVOLUME” - which both Cubase and the E-licenser applications are dependent on. I have endless Cubase stalling problems until I kill that process… but that’s maybe another discussion.