Using Dorico on another Computer

Rick, I’ll send you a time-limited activation code that you can use on whichever computer you don’t currently have Dorico licensed on, and that should tide you over. Check your private mailbox here on the forum.

Hello, all. I’ve just made this switch from Finale after over 20 years of daily use, and I am wondering where Dorico has been all my life. It literally does EVERYTHING that I have wished for Finale to do, and then some. The new version of Finale disappointed me beyond repair, so here I am.

I am a church musician, and I did appreciate that I could install Finale on my church iMac AND home iMac using the same license. The USB e-licenser would not be practical for me, so I’m guessing my only option would be to buy a second license for my church office. Is there any kind of reduced rate for a single-user second license? I’m certainly not suggesting that Dorico isn’t worth the full price, but I’m not sure my music budget will allow for it at the moment.

1 Like

The new licensing system will support multi-computer. I hope it’s something sensible, like the Spitfire two computer registration, or other tools where’s it’s basically seamless. I’ll guess the new system will be rolled out sometime in the next year, maybe before the end of this one who knows.

Welcome, @Chase43078. You’ll find lots of Finale exiles here!

We’re all anticipating that Steinberg will finally change their licence system later this year, and the word is that it will allow two seats per user.

In the meantime, you might want to consider buying Dorico Elements for the church office. This is considerably cheaper, though does have some limitations: mostly to do with No Engrave mode, and a limit to the number of players (12). Above that, you can still print and read the score.

1 Like

Needing a “time-limited activation code” tells us how far we still now are from a system professionals need and SHOULD HAVE. Happily a solution to this nonsense is coming… :slight_smile:

I’m also happy to provide time-limited licenses upon request for you to activate Dorico on a second computer while you’re waiting for the new licensing system to arrive. Please simply send me a private message here to request one, and I’ll send it to you by return.

5 Likes

Also note that now Dorico for iPad - with the new unlimited player subscription, is a very viable alternative to the full desktop version. With the new licensing system this will cover all bases - iPad for when really mobile, a laptop license for mostly mobile and desktop for studio work. It’s a bright future!

2 Likes

Can you kindly perhaps shed light on what a “time-limited” means, please? Three days, one week, two months, until the new system, or something else…? Thank you ever so much. :slight_smile:

HOW exhausted you must be with all our questions around the same topic! :slightly_frowning_face: Thanks for you patience. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It means a license that will expire 90 days after the date of activation.

1 Like

No kidding. Gold star, Daniel.

And it must be said: we’ve been an extra persnickety bunch lately. I don’t know what’s goin on with the forum, but it’s felt a little bit off for a week or two. (Influx of new users?)

4 Likes

Introduction of the iPad - a whole new target to practice persnickety on :smiley:

3 Likes

I think the much-anticipated but UTTERLY DISAPPOINTING release of Finale 27 may have caused many to finally jump ship! I’m glad I did. For those of us who used Finale non-stop for 20+ years, it is a major shift in thought and workflow. I’ve been at it for about 2 months now and, while there are a few things I wish Dorico would allow me to control, I think it’s the most brilliant app I’ve ever used. The whole set-up seems ripe for long-term success, too. Also, unlike Dorico’s forum, Finale’s is not a happy place to be. Some defectors may arrive here armed for war; instead they find a bunch of crazy smart happy friendly people.

10 Likes

Great. 81 years. I am 76. Gives me hope too. But it is difficult. Good luck.

Hi, Daniel. I’m a public school band teacher and you helped me last summer with a code to use Dorico on my laptop. I just got a new MacBook Pro and would like to hopefully get Dorico 3.5 up and running now and then upgrade to 4.0 when it’s ready. Can you help me with a code today?

OP here, I have been getting notifications all this time from the forums and I didn’t understand why since I haven’t posted in ages… I didn’t think the thread would last from March 2019 till now…
I read about the new licensing system… great to hear that paid customers will finally have an easier time than pirated customers (the latter need no USB and can operate on unlimited machines )
Anyway long since I upgraded to Dorico 3 Pro… Is it known what’s new in Dorico 4 yet?
peace.

They don’t announce features in advance of the release itself. Cheers —

You should be able to use the reactivation process to get yourself a new activation code for your new MacBook Pro. Let me know if this doesn’t work for some reason (but perhaps send me a private message).

I think if you set the drop-down at the very bottom of the thread back to Tracking instead of Watching, you’ll no longer get emails about new posts added to the thread.

interesting. good advice!
cheers

Thank you. So I will be able to have Dorico running on my iMac and laptop for some time? Thank you.

Rick Zelinsky
(907) 250-9454
“May all living beings be happy and free from suffering.”