Using staccato and the sustain pedal

Hello everyone,

I’m working on a vibraphone piece where:

• The pedal will be down the entire time.
  • For staccato notes, I would like the note to be played back in the same way as it would without the pedal (i.e., very short) for only that note. (This is to mimic the sound of dead strokes on the vibraphone.)

Would I achieve this in Expression Maps, even though there aren’t any key switches involved?

(I confess I’m still very new to expression maps, but I think I’m slowly getting the hang of it!)

Thank you -

George

Unless you’re using a very fancy dedicated vibraphone virtual instrument, you will probably find it easiest to use two separate vibraphone sounds, one for pedal on, and one for pedal off, since if you lift the pedal for the notes that are to be damped, all of the other notes will stop sustaining. You can then write the dampened notes in a separate voice, and using independent voice playback in Play mode, direct that voice to the separate instance of the vibraphone where the pedal isn’t down.

1 Like

Thanks, Daniel! A follow-up: independent voice playback works, but since the pedal line is under both voices, it seems that voice 2 (where I am writing the staccato notes) is still being sustained in the playback. Is there a way that I can “suppress playback” of the pedal marking for a single voice?

I’m hoping I can keep both voices on the same staff.

Thank you -

George

Hmm, yes, I suppose that’s right. I think in that case you’ll need to use a second vibraphone instrument in your score containing the notes that need to play back with no sustain, and hide that instrument in the main layout via a manual staff visibility change.

1 Like

Okay. Thanks for your help!