Using what you have - anti-upgrade & feature request thread

I have a Honor Pianet T that I bought Circa 1978. Still works fine.

Similarly a Wavestation SR I was given by a very good friend still performs as it did what 10 years ago?

My wife’s violin was crafted somewhere in Germany around 1904. OK it has had new bridge and tailpiece and of course the strings have been replaced a lot, but the thing itself? still a violin.

I kind of treat software the same way. Eventually what i have will break and then I’ll need a new one. And then my buying decision is the same as my keyboard process - Not I have a Roland Fantom G therefore will look at the latest Roland, but… what is out there that does the job and I like?

I apply the same rationale to my software buying decisions.

Hello

my 20 core, 60 GB ram

No need to upgrade. Your current C6 can do this. It is up to yourself if you need the new features of a software…

Cheers,

Chris

Trouble with that is, if you’re old like me, and everything’s paid for and your retired, the features on the new(er) versions are getting to be overkill and it’s easier ( for me ), to stick with the older versions and work with what I know.

I’m from the old school, been recording for 50 yrs now,and am used to analog recording, so I really don’t need most of the features in Cubase 6, being as I only record audio.

I was going to upgrade my WaveLab 6 to 7, because I’ve always used WL, but without a manual ( what were they thinking ? ) I am not.

If I was younger, and still had lots of clients, then yes, I would always upgrade, but I don’t need to anymore :frowning:

Old sox/new shoes. New socks/old shoes. If a question of resources, money will not be an issue to those who can pay and do to continue their journey.

and… as each individual artist has their own process, technology itself can be an artistically inspirational thing (as we’ve seen evidenced in today’s art, science and culture).

These visions would not be possible to accomplish without ‘machination,’ - and yet,
they’re all merely tools. Some get old and need replacement. Others need updates.

Perhaps every artist reaches a point where they re-prioritize and focus upon a sense of who they are and what they do - with gratitude for the tools that they currently have at their disposal - and get on with doing what they initially started out to do creatively before even getting involved with the latest and greatest. At this point, they become ‘old school,’ which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Actually one of the main reasons I 've been upgrading with each new release of Cubase recently was to simplify and reduce my 3rd-party software/plugins footprint. I had a bunch of plugins which all needed to be ‘managed’ to some extent, some of which were a real hassle at times to license and register… Native Instruments and IK for example both seem to have complex registration/authorisation processes, and codes/serials that I have to keep track of etc etc. I have an email folder with a mountain of correspondence accumulated over the years, full of registration info, download links, serial numbers and codes etc etc etc. :confused: When Cubase started bundling some really useful plugins I was able discard some of that 3rd-party stuff. Reverence reverb was an example - I used to use S.I.R. and though it was free it did have a significant latency problem, and it required a certain level of ‘effort’ to manage it. The new amp sim plugin with C6 is pretty good too, certainly for my needs anyway, so I was able to do away with Amplitube2 which I’d been using.

So, for me, I like the idea of having as much as possible of what I need (as long as the plugins are good!) in the one product. Of course I now also have a whole bunch of other weird stuff I DON’T need included as well! :laughing: What the hell is LoopMash??? :smiley:

And would Steinberg supply a mini generator in the next ten years so we can continue online through a power outage due to a fuel shortage? :laughing:
We still use stone age tools because sometimes, for short whiles, the stone age comes back. :smiling_imp:

Feature requests are like giving a note to a band onstage asking them to play a certain number. If they do it they might do it for you. If they don’t they won’t. If they only do originals they won’t write one for you.
:laughing: Like asking a band: “Why don’t you write a song about President Obama.” or “The middle East crisis”. Mostly you’d just get looked at funny. Programmers, like bands, are in that little room talking about what they know how to do. They mostly know what needs to be done and can be done and very rarely consult outside that room unless the ideas are very, very good.
There’s nothing wrong with ideas and suggestions it’s just some people need a reality check and don’t get so precious and het up when there’s no response. That just makes the forum look like it’s populated by fools and schoolkids.
But all us geniuses don’t eh? :mrgreen:

Naughty, naughty, naughty. Steinberg won’t like this. If a producer has a DAW (of course he does) it is normally one of the last things that it’s really necessary to upgrade on. It seems that we are often more focused on buying new mixers, mics, interfaces, controllers, instruments, mic pres, and so on. I don’t know, Steinberg really makes that upgrade look attractive sometimes. I need VST Expression 2 so bad. And the time warp. And…oh man, they got me thinking again! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Hey Steve,

RAM limit for Windows 7 Home Premium - 16 GB.
Professional and Ultimate - 192 GB. :open_mouth:

I know it’s an unpopular idea but a subscription based Cubase would not necessarily be more expensive than the current upgrade path (£150 - ish every two years = about £6.00 per month), it would provide an income stream and Steinberg wouldn’t have to accumulate a bunch of improvements to justify a paid upgrade - they would be released as and when.

It would also be a way to dispense with the dongle, Cubase could be activated per session and allow un-activated sessions when servers are down etc… there must be a way to log subscriber’s IP etc.

Cubase could license modules and offer prices per module. There’s lots of bits of Cubase I never use - score editing, Loopmash, various synths etc.

I think I’ll go and have a lie-down… :confused:

No thank you. I’d be havin a look at ProTools. :wink:

Bane said

No thank you. I’d be havin a look at ProTools. > :wink:

Explain? :mrgreen:

Steve Fogal

Just think of making do with the equipment & software tools you already have

I agree with Steve on this. My most productive and creative era was when I was using Cubase VST/32 V. 5.0 / P166 MB with 1024 mB RAM, synchronised with a Fostex R8 using a Tascam MTS-30. I was in creative heaven, along with my friends and customers. Great memories - no upgrade path temptation and expense, just music!

I got caught up in the merry-go-round of operating system and resource upgrades to keep up with the increasingly powerful Cubase and enhanced “user experience”, blaming my reduced creativity on everything but the technology.

I wonder whether facility stunts creativity. :question: :confused:

I really don’t care to finance or subscribe to my DAW. Therefore we give the manufactures more reason to feel that the DAW is not ours, but rather paying for a license too use it. Then I’d have to check into another software that would allow me to pay and be done. Customization isn’t a good idea either.

Bane wrote

I really don’t care to finance or subscribe to my DAW. Therefore we give the manufactures more reason to feel that the DAW is not ours, but rather paying for a license too use it. Then I’d have to check into another software that would allow me to pay and be done. Customization isn’t a good idea either.

“I really don’t care to finance or subscribe to my DAW” but you have to, and you do, unless you use pirated software.

“We give the manufacturers more reason to feel that the DAW is not ours, but rather paying for a license to use it” That’s the contractual basis for ALL software, you only buy a license to USE, not to OWN.

“Then I’d have to check into another software that would allow me to pay and be done” No such thing - sorry!

“Customization isn’t a good idea either” Why not? I’m sure software developers would agree with you though!

In December I sold almost all my gear so I could buy my fiance the biggest rock possible. Now that that’s taken care of, I’m reconstituting my recording set-up, and I’m going cheap and finding it sounds about the same:

Scarlet 2i2 interface – $135
used Alvarez Regent acoustic which sounds GREAT for $99
used Joe Strummer Tele which plays great – $600
a used AKG C214 mic I bought for $300

$1,135 later, and I’m done

in my case being a hardware freak why would i want to upgrade or renew all my old modules and synthesizers just to get plugin versions (anolog -digital-anolog makes no sence )when i have the oringinal hardware .
I still run sx3 on my dual boot xp-win7 pc and would more than likely still be happy with that IF i hadn’t joined in this forum and caught the upgrade bug.its that old thing of if it isn’t broken then …,but i must say im glad ive upgraded to c6 but if for any reason i had to start using the plugin synths then world war 3 would break out .

"ONLY REAL MEN USE HARDWARE "! . :laughing:
You must all admit it if you could own the hardware version of the software then you would .

freq

Generally I would, but total recall is an important feature I wouldn’t really want to miss. Especially if said hardware doesn’t support patchsaving.

I’m far from a habitual up-grader.

Re old MIDI instruments, I bought plug-in (VI) versions of some of my old (digital-based) hardware instruments, including the Yamaha DX7 & Korg T1. Within SX3, I was then able to run some of the old “.ARR” (Atari Cubase “arrangement”) files that had sent MIDI data to those hardware instruments. I was surprised how accurate the emulation was - and the sound quality was better (less noise, if nothing else) than my recordings of the old instruments. Using an Emu (VST) VI, I was also able to recreate old sequences that had used the Emu Proteus 2. It was satisfying to bring those old sequences back to life, and quite luxurious being able to get everything ready just by opening the SX3 project file, instead of first having to get the instruments and mixer (and reverb/effects) set up.

As for older, purely analogue (or, at least, pre-MIDI) instruments, I might one day try to recreate a few old synth-based tracks, if I can make VI synths and any associated FX to sound close enough - though that would probably be hard work: amongst other things, a lot of listening to the originals, to try to play the same notes again. I might just settle for improving the sound of the old recordings.

Concerning Cubase, I seem now to be settling into taking alternate updates. After a long gap from getting VST/32, I got C4 when it first came out, but was so horrified by defects in the initial release that I used SX3 instead until the final C4 version was available (when C5 came out). Then I decided to wait for C6 to be released, whereupon I intended to use the final C5 (on a C6 license) until C6 was “finished” (which it isn’t yet); but delays meant I eventually bought the C6 upgrade in December, to beat the price increase. Nothing installed yet, but I still expect to settle into mainly using C5 for some time, unless there’s somehing in C6 that I need.

I upgraded from Wavelab 3 to 6, when 6 came out. I might never upgrade to 7 - I rarely need to use WL, and I don’t like the idea of learning to use a radically different version of WL without a proper manual (even a pdf would do).

My over-20-yr-old Korg T1 is still my main MIDI keyboard (not for its sounds, though) and my somewhat older DX7 sits above it, ready for the not very frequent times when I need to play on two keyboards at once. I fell in love with the feel of the T1 keyboard when I first played one in a shop in London. The DX7 keyboard feels a little unpleasant, and it’s keys are slightly narrow - but I’ve got it so I use it.

I still had a role (occasionally) for my even older Roland MC202 until a couple of years ago when I tried to switch it on but it didn’t work.

Last year I bought a cheap, refurbished laptop (WXP, 2GB) to run a free version of Cubase, for making quick rough recordings of my piano, without having to turn on my main Cubase PC and trail mic cables to it. (I have another laptop, used perhaps once or twice a month (around the house), but it’s too old and puny for recording audio.)

I have a 12-year old PC that gets used just about every week (admin, invoices, storing scans of documents, etc - at one time it acted as my photocopier and fax machine as well). I hate setting up new PCs and transferring stuff to them from old PCs, so I just keep using the old one for those things.

My mobile phone is eight years old.

The WAF approaches! :laughing:

uhhh…by my calculation, that’s $1,134. I hope they threw in a few picks with that Tele. :wink:

Kudo’s to you, Doug, for showing your gal how much she means to you! I wish you two all the best!