Using what you have - anti-upgrade & feature request thread

Interesting to read many mentions of the Cubase VST32/v5 era as being a time heightened creativity. At least that was the case here. Beyond that point, my engineering skills improved resulting in better sounding mixes but the creative fire wasn’t the same…

Maybe we should blame all of this on the gamers whose blood-thrist for the fastest possible computer just keeps ramping up the need for computer upgrades, then eventually new computers.

And the DAW market is highly competitive. Corporations need a steady stream of new users and repeat customers to survive. Would you really want to see the demise of Steinberg? Keeping with the status quo (Cubase development frozen at vSX3) would be catastrophic for the corporate bottom line.

We can’t have it both ways! Individuals can choose to use what the have for as long as they can. I certainly take that approach in many facets of my daily life. If you have the chops to build you’re own computer, then you’ll be a survivor in the “Mad Max” world to come. I was still using Mac OS 8.6 on a juiced-up Umax S900 when OSX was released. Had no choice: Had no funds. As a result I was left behind in the dust. By the time I was able to afford a used G4, SX3 was being released, but I had already moved on to another DAW. Cubase 5 brought me back into the fold, but it wasn’t until C6 that I really started to use Cubase to any extent.

It’s quite unsettling to witness the end of the line for well known products or establishments: EAS plug-ins, Powercore, Borders books, etc.

Bottom line: each of us can the right choice for our situation at any given movement.

Right now, I’m for upgrading!

I don’t understand this …

I’d be most dismayed if the company I supported for so long both materially as well as pledging my allegiance to suddenly folded due to users not paying their way for whatever reason, as we all know copyright infringement costs all sectors of the entertainment industry billions every year and when I need support I don’t want to have to learn an entire new system or rely on veteran users in some forum or other tutorials that are so old as to be useless.

The question I have about upgrading for or against is how can a piece of software be considered to be the same in terms of purchasing, such as a piece of musical equipment or other hardware, when:

a) it runs on an Operating System that is forever changing itself in terms of updates (even Windows XP is being updated until 2014)

b) The DAW must be updated for compatibility with the OS

bump!

:mrgreen:

I will NEVER upgrade to Cubase 6! :smiley:

It’s funny, the OP has carried on in the past about Cubase VST and as the response shows, they have in fact upgraded to the (almost) latest version.