Using Zoom R8 to drive LE5

1. I just got the LE5 and Zoom R8 and I want to use R8 controls (the transport, sliders etc) to control the transport functions on the LE5. I have the R8 connected and have used it to record a few tracks.

2. Right now, once the R8 is connected to my computer via the USB, and I use the USB function on the R8 to link it to my computer, the pads become dead and I cannot playback anything from the R8 on LE5. I am wondering then, how do I record drum tracks from R8 to LE5. Is it possible?

Thank you.

Yes, any contoller pad will do this for you. Confirm your connections in your track’s inspector and also that you are monitoring. :wink:

It is not working for me. I cannot get the R8 to control LE5/ I checked my R8 manual and they mentioned to:

MAKE DAW SOFTWARE SETTINGS => DEVICE SETTINGS => CONTROL SURFACE SETTINGS.

How do you do this? As I said, I can record and playback on LE5 using the R8, but I cannot get the R8 to control the software. It must have something to do with some settings. How do I do the Control Surface Settings in LE5?

UPDATE: I found the solution. Just in case someone else has a similar problem, here is what to do:

1. Go to the menu bar on LE and click on DEVICES

2. Click next on DEVICE SETUP

3. At the top left of the Device setup window [+], [−] and [|<] buttons appear. Click the [+] and SELECT “Mackie Control”

4. Set the MIDI input and output to ZOOM 8

5. APPLY and OK. All set.

Credit: http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/legacy_docs/R8AudioIFManual_E1.pdf

Also, MIDI Controllers

Thanks, Bane.

To my second issue above:

1. Right now, once the R8 is connected to my computer via the USB, and I use the USB function on the R8 to link it to my computer, the pads become dead and I cannot playback anything from the R8 on LE5. I am wondering then, how do I record drum tracks from R8 to LE5. Is it possible?

Thanks.

I would suggest, do the drums on the R8 in standalone mode, the do a mixdown on the r8 and later import the file into le5

Thanks RPMedia. I just got an Alesis SR18 (a nice piece of equipment by the way). Now, I record my drums to my heart’s delight. But I will try out your idea. No knowledge is wasted. Many thanks.