Variations - Flows [solved]

Hello,

I copied out a version of Tchaikovskys’ Rococo variations.
After having finished, I split the project into individual flows.
Now I have the advantages of Flow headers showing automatically.
At the end of most variations there is a cautionary key signature and a cautionary time signature.
These are all gone after I did the splitting up (I knew that).
Still I would like to reinstate a few of them.
I have read the thread about the workaround with creating Codas, but that is for the opposite, hiding cautionary time signatures…
Should I stich all Flows together again or is there a more elegant solution?

Maybe put a new bar at the end of each flow with time and key signature? Then you can use Edit/Remove Rests, and shorten the bar in Engrave mode if necessary. I just gave it a shot and it kind of works, although I didn’t mess with the bar length.

There is a workaround, described again not long ago, but Claude Lapalme warned against it, as it may not be stable. I’ll try to find it and post the link here.

Thank you Stephen,

yes it worked!
And it was pretty easy, add an extra bar, insert a time signature and a key signature (both like at the beginning of the next flow). Then in Notation Options change the final bar-line to be invisible.
Now select the extra bars rest and set the colour to transparent.
Finally in Engrave Mode adjust horizontal spacing for this last bar.

Everything fine, but:
this only works in the Score for me. In the Parts I cant get rid of the bars rest. Can’t scale and can’t make it transparent… and Remove Rests will also not work. This is odd.

Maybe try Edit/Propagate Properties?

Unfortunately Propagate Properties does not work in this case.
I might have to live with that extra bars rest and try to cover it with a white square in the exported .pdf file. For ten parts and each 4 occasions where I need this it means fiddling with 40 little workarounds… not very elegant…

If you use Edit > Remove Rests then there’s nothing to propagate. That was what Stephen Taylor suggested…

Use the next time signature, but with a short upbeat and then scale down. So enter 3/4,0.5 for example, get rid of the extra bar(s); scale down the rests to 1 and propagate. The empty space will still be a bit wider than it should, but not by much

Claude, can you explain the need to scale rests down to 1? What’s wrong with just ending the voice (by using Remove Rests)?

I must have made an error because it was not working for me. But I see that it does. My apologies. That’s an even better solution!

… but of course it doesn’t work with condensing …

Thank you for all the good suggestions.
In the score I added an extra bar at the end, (put the desired time- and keysignature in front of it) then changed the bars rest to explicit rests (via force input), then just „Remove Rests“ selected and removed these rest. Very nice, also the spacing adjusted by itself.
But: this is not been transferred through to the parts.
Either I must be doing something wrong, or it is not possible. The forced rests do not transfer to the parts, nor can I generate them in the parts (in those end bars). I can not remove the rests in the parts.
So my only way seemed to me to export the parts to .pdf and cover these bits up with white rectangles, which I did. It looks a bit odd, as those systems are shorter, but hopefully my customer is not too bothered about this. It is for a one off performance only…

Why are you using Force Duration to make the rests explicit?

Stephen gave you clear instructions - you rewrote them. I confirmed that Stephen’s instructions worked, and clarified them - you thought you’d try something else. Just follow the instructions.

pianoleo, I thought I’d better summarise, as Stephens route does not work all the way with me (the whole bars’ rests can’t be removed via „Remove Rests“). I will have to try it again with the „end voice“ route.

„End Voice“ does not work unfortunately, as there are bars with rests following.

This is how the (tutti) cello at the end of the 4th flow looks in the Score (I removed the rest of the extra added bar):

This is how the (tutti) cello part looks at the end of the 4th flow (here I can’t remove the extra bars rest):

This is, how it looks, after I patched the resulting .pdf file with a little white rectangle:

No other workaround seems possible to me - except putting everything back into one flow…
Or I am completely overlooking something.

Dorico Cello Part, end of Flow.png

Having played with it a little further, I think it comes down to whether multi-bar rests are consolidated or not. If they are, the final (extra) bar rest is actually a multi-bar rest, meaning you can’t do anything with it. In layouts that don’t consolidate multi-bar rests, single bar rests are perfectly ordinary rests and can be hidden by way of Edit > Remove Rests, as I demonstrated on Thursday.

You are still overlooking something, though, which is that if you have a pickup bar that is shorter than the time signature, Dorico spells it out as real rhythmic values, not as multi-bar rests. This can be use to your advantage here, because these rests can be hidden.

Look:

Thank you pianoleo for being so patient and showing this pickup bar solution.
I couldn’t wait to get home to go through the score again.
And by chance I even found another elegant solution, which gets the same perfect result:
In the score I recovered the extra bar first by deselecting „End voice“ in the previous bar (this is just because I had removed the rests beforehand).
If one puts in an extra bar with time signature (and key signature) one can just delete that extra bar from the system track - that is all; the time signature and the key signature stay in place.
If one just needs a cautionary key signature at the end of the flow one can hide the cautionary time signature obviously.
Please have a look: Dropbox - fantastic workaround.mov - Simplify your life

Be careful, k_b. The next time you open that file you may find that the bars you deleted have returned! That’s why I didn’t recommend that method…

huh, yes you are right pianoleo, as almost always :wink:
Luckily I had made my extra .pdf Export before closing that file.
As long as I remember…
But you are right, the pickup bar solution will keep the file intact.
Interesting discoveries…

(By the way, this is the instability that Marc was referring to in post #3.)