VCA Fader Automation Issue

TL;DR Copy/pasting events while their attached VCA fader is at -inf causes the corresponding track faders to remain at -inf even when the VCA is goes back to 0dB.

I’m editing audio to video on a pretty large project with many tracks. The tracks that make up each section of music are contained within folders like so:

A Section - All tracks for A section music
B Section - All tracks for B section music
C Section - All tracks for C section music

Etc. Pretty standard.

I’m using each folder “track” to chop up the music within and fly it to various places on the video to create my arrangement. I’m also using VCA faders to trim the volume and write automation to each respective section (A Section tracks all sent to A Section VCA, etc). This allows me to mix my tracks via their respective faders while still being able to automate and balance section volumes…WITHOUT having to write automation to individual tracks thus being forced to mix by trimming automation only (which is time-consuming and annoying).

This works very well! However, I keep running into the following strange behavior. Say I pause the playhead over a part where I’ve automated my B Section fader all the way down to mute the corresponding music. The B Section VCA fader is all the way down, and so are all the B Section tracks attached to it. Then, I decide I want to alt-grab (Windows PC) this one part of B Section material and fly it over to this other part of the video. I do that, and the material copies fine. Great. Then I begin playing again, the playhead progresses forward and crosses over a part where I’ve brought the B Section VCA fader back to 0.

The VCA fader will fly back to 0, but the faders of the attached tracks will stay all the way down. Not just for the copy/pasted event, but for the whole project. The faders now live at -inf

The only way to bring them back is to turn on Read Automation on every single track attached to the B Section VCA (even though no automation is written to them), and then turn it off again. This brings the faders back, but I’m not sure it necessarily brings them back to exactly where I had them before. This is, again, very time consuming and annoying. It seems like copy/pasting events is resetting the relationship between tracks and their attached VCA. Like, they’re in a certain relationship, you copy/paste something, then Cubase says VCA, START YOUR CHANGES FROM HERE NOW, and that’s causing problems.

Can anyone confirm? Anyone have any workarounds? This is really impacting my workflow.

Hi. Unfortunately I can’t help you, but I have exactly the same problem as you. So if anyone has a solution, that’d be great.
If I find a solution I’ll share it with you here, I hope you’ll do the same if you do :wink:

[/quote]

Hi. Unfortunately I can’t help you, but I have exactly the same problem as you. So if anyone has a solution, that’d be great.
If I find a solution I’ll share it with you here, I hope you’ll do the same if you do :wink:
[/quote]

At least I know I’m not crazy! Thanks for the vote of solidarity.

Turns out more will trigger this behavior than just copy/pasting events in the project window. During my mix, I discovered one of my tracks was sent to the wrong VCA. The playhead went over a part of the song where I automated that VCA group all the way down, but one track kept playing. No problem, I’ll just swap it over.

Whoops. I did it in a spot where the VCA was at -inf. Whoops. All the track faders are at -inf. Whoops. Now they don’t respond to the VCA fader moving back up anymore. Whoops. All those tracks live at -inf now. Whoops. My mix is ruined.

WHOOPS.

Revert to last saved. Whole morning of work gone. This bug is f**king stupid. :frowning:

Eloise, are you are 10.5? I’m on 10 even on this PC. I’m wondering if it’s fixed on 10.5