VCA faders in Nuendo

Aaaaah I just stepped over it in the Cubase Forum… C8 needs the Aero mode!! No!!

I will nut change my studio daw to aero mode… I am in an modified classic mode for years and I love it that way. No way to enable Aero mode - had nothing but issues back in my first days of Win7… So no Cubase 8 for me ATM.

I hope that this will not the same in Nuendo 7.

A bunch of faders can be controlled by an additional VCA fader.
Still, you can change any individual fader within that group, without affecting the others.
And you can have gourps within groups, within groups.

So, for a drum kit, you cna have a VCA for kick & Snare, a VCA for Toms, a VCA for OH’s, etc …
Then one VCA which controls all of these together, and so on.
But still, you can change the volume of the -for example- Hihat individually.

Fredo

So will N7.
Areo mode is needed to provide the current functionality.
It’s not a choice Steinberg could made, it was a choice Steinberg was forced to make.

Get over it.
:slight_smile:

(For those who are offended by this, Brandy an I go a long way back. I can say that.)
I hope …

Fredo

Fredo, thanks a lot - again!! I just watched the video regarding the VCA faders. Ok - I understand. Well, then the way I mix is quite a “workaround” which works for me - a Bus/group for example on the drums is not needed for overall-level changes - but for processing (EQ, Comp etc, mostly only EQ) - when I want to change the individual faders VCA style I just quick-link the tracks and do it without an extra fader…

But that VCA thing seems like an awesome thing to me when it comes to automation.

Regarding the Aero thing… well… I just tried “how my DAW will look like” and I almost puked.

BUT: And I am sorry to hijack this tread now - it fixed TWO serious issues I am having in N6.5!!

• Scrolling in a mixer stretched via 3 screens is fast now (was clumsy since the new mixing desk)
  • I had a serious issue with the East West “Play” instrument - when clicking with the mouse in an empty space in the project or in the midi editor (to select multiple events - audio or midi) I had CPU spikes and dropouts - till I freeze the instruments - and this is GONE…

I tried back and forth and all I can say: Aero fixed that. Both.

But it looks so ugly… Oh man…

Isn’ there a way to modify the window-bars? They are eating up so much space. And even when I set it to “grey” (which looks somewhat ok) the Nuendo Mixer is BLUE… and not transparent. everything looks like a GUI Error…

Hey Brandy -

The unnecessarily wide and high borders, sliders, and icons of the Aero-style themes are very ugly and a waste of space - I agree.

It’s not a supported approach done at one’s own risk, but I have modified values with RegEdit at the following path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

Using this I have minimised the screen real-estate required by all of the useless rubbish.

Hope that helps stop you coming out in a rash! :slight_smile:

For a good understanding, I don’t like the look of the Aero themse either.
That being said, I look ugly myself, so who am I …

Fredo

ah wait a minute… though I am limited in time and I should not waste it by tweaking Aero I found out that I can modify it to an “acceptable” state… GPH - thanks for the hint - is it possible that all of this is possible via “advanced display options”?

I was able to trim down that silly frame etc…

Yes - advanced display options will have those parameters. Unless you’re on Windows 8.x, like me. They got rid of them being user-configurable!

You can adjust W8 borders…easy.

Here’s the link:

Will we have any of those "Areo Mode)-type issues on OS X? :open_mouth:

“as well as all Cubase 8 features”
Does this mean the end of NEK?

NEK is still there.

Fredo

Hey Timo,

I looked at the upgrade/update pricing on your website, and it reads:

$130 - Update from Nuendo 6 + NEK to Nuendo 6.5 + NEK
$480 - Update from Nuendo 5 or 5.5 + NEK to Nuendo 6.5 + NEK
$580 - Update from Nuendo 4 + NEK to Nuendo 6.5 + NEK

So I’m wondering what happened between v5 and v6 that makes that upgrade path so much more expensive, and if that will happen as you move to version 7. A $350 difference is obviously not insignificant.

Are you being sarcastic, or, am I misunderstanding you, or, is the “not” a typo? :open_mouth:

The difference is significant. Therefore it is not INsignificant. Double negative.

No sarcasm.

I think it’d be good to know if we can expect a bigger upgrade cost or a smaller one, as it’ll no doubt have an effect on how one plans next year’s budget.

Ooops! I didn’t see the “in” … :blush: :smiley:

Re the jump in price; would you say, that there was a commensurate jump in features, ease of use etc?

Good question. I honestly don’t recall. I thought there was a fair amount of annoying changes particularly with the GUI, but it’s possible they saw it that way. But if I remember correctly it’s not the same if you look at the Cubase upgrades over the years.

i don’t know. I’m a Steinberg newbie.

Cubase 8 pricing is:

$99 - Update from Cubase 7.5
$149 - Update from Cubase 7
$199 - Update from Cubase 6/6.5

If it was “the same” we’d see a bigger jump between 6/7, right?

The Cuserbase gets quite a few great improvements for that money.
I am personally really impressed with the release. (and looking forward to using the stuff in the next Nuendo)
While Avid announces to want 200/600 dollars for no significant news on the horizon, The Steinies deliver for very competetive prices.