VCAs still broken

This has to be fixed for current versions of both Cubase and Nuendo. NO WAY I am paying to get this fixed.

Good luck trying to get it fixed. Iā€™ve been trying since they were introduced and itā€™s not something that Steinberg seems to a) care about b) even understand how it should function.

No this absolutely needs to get fixed, we just need to keep bumping this thread and PMā€™ing devs and moderators. This absolutely has to get fixed for current version.

+1

Seemingly, In case of Cubase and at least ā€˜VCA Destinationā€™ to be remembered correctly,

A) They care about it. Because, Cubase can remember VCA destinations from a disabled state of tracks.

B) Even understand how it should function.

It is the Nuendo team (not entirely Steinberg) that seems to be much more broken than even Cubase, in terms of VCA faders.

The Cubase VCAs have bugs as well.

I thought those last two were Nuendo?

And are they still there as bugs? The video is a year+ old.

Confirmed, still here, both Cubase and Nuendo :blush:

I donā€™t know if anyone has already given this solution but It seems to me that these 2 bugs can be bypassed by creating an initial state of automation.
If you have volume automation before doing these manipulations, I believe these 2 problems do not appear.
Or create an initial state from the automation window but this affects all the parameters of the whole project.
Can someone confirm it?

I think itā€™s confirmed, but itā€™s really just an unreasonable workaround for many people which sort of creates a headache later on.

I think my workaround is going to have to be to automate later, and to delete the VCAs or unlink the channels from them for any track Iā€™m going to automate.

Itā€™s just so silly, how can these still exist? Why am I even having to think about this?

I completely agree with you

Essentially I think what is going on here is two problems.

VCAs are acting as two things at once:

-Multiple channels fader link utility channel
and
-VCA Automation offset.

Without any automation, the VCA is nothing but a tangible fader link channel. Add an automation point and then it becomes an automation offset.

This is where they went wrong, was tying VCA faders into controlling the faders of the other channels its linked to. a VCA should be a control on a separate pre-fader gain trim that is not attached to the fader.

They tried to give us both in one, but it has just made things more complicated. They should have gave us another gain stage, represented by a rotary trim dial close to the faders, or a ā€˜Small Faderā€™ mixrack like an SSL console.

Or they just need to code it so that VCA offsets always begin at the point of adding automation but each channel/fader position is seen as ā€œ0dbā€. ie, if itā€™s at -6.3db and you add an automation point, the VCA reads that -6.3db as ā€œ0dbā€.

Okay everyone, official workaround (or possibly, how itā€™s supposed to be used) has been discovered.

If you have utilized VCA fader link to mix with, before you have automated, and you would then like to add automation to tracks that are VCA linked, you have to first ā€˜Combine Automation of VCA and Linked Channelsā€™"

1 Like

forgot I found this workaround!

1 Like