VE Pro 6

I just upgraded to VE Pro 6, and I can highly recommend this update as it is packed with excellent new features, seems to consume far less memory and loads VSTs quite a bit faster than its predecessors.

A word of caution. I updated my Play version to the current version, and discovered that the instruments took over three times longer to load. I complained to East West and received this reply:
We are aware of this issue and are currently beta-testing a new version of PLAY that will address it! We do not have an ETA at the moment, but we hope to release it ASAP!
Just in case anyone blames VE Pro 6 which is innocent of this issue.

Ja, I installed the 4.3.5 - started it - closed it again - uninstalled it - re-installed the 4.2 :wink: Play is already the slowest loading engine on the market - but this went a little too far :smiley:

I also uninstalled Play 4.3.5 after I discovered that after loading my large configuration into VE Pro, the flutes and piccolo all sounded like demented bullfrogs with sore throats. :mrgreen:

Installing Play 4.2 .2 corrected the problem and the load was also much quicker.

Agreed, Derek - I am exploring VE Pro 6 at the moment - and it’s a lot faster, more fully-featured and nicer looking.

Have also tested with Sibelius 8; works very well.

Is there official word from VSL about their plans for Dorico?

I am waiting to see how PLAY 5 will coop with these hassles.

I don’t think there really can be any plans until they have a copy, so it’s too early to say, IMO.

DG

I upgraded to vepro6 too, is it possible to keep vepro 5 and vepro 6 installed simultaneously in my imac?any one tried that?

Nope. It’s one or the other.

DG

If Steinberg is willing to make Dorico compatible with VSL, I am sure that VSL has already a beta version of Dorico
:wink:

As far as I understand, support for third party VSTs is not there in the first version…(?)

There’s limited support for third-party VST instruments. You can certainly load up Vienna Ensemble Pro and route instruments in Dorico to VSL, for example, but what is missing is the Expression Map support that will make it easy to create the changes in playing techniques by way of keyswitches, controller changes, and so on.

ok, thanks for the clarification!

The EastWest Play 5 engine is now available. Looking forward to see your experiences of using it.

Sorry I dont understand, in some posts it is said that Dorico will use a system that is better and compatible to Cubase Expression Maps

That is still true, but this Expression Map system isn’t implemented in the first version…

If no Expression Maps ; no Dorico for me

The expression map support is something that we hope to provide very soon. Our expression map will be an extension of Cubase’s format, so that if you already have your own maps then you should be able to import them, which will get you most of the way there. However there’s some extra data that we’ll be able to store in there to give more control over playback. Also Dorico’s data model is very different to Cubase in that it’s more about Players and their Instruments, and the Playing Techniques they use, which can be mapped on to one or more devices. Eg consider if you had a violin patch that you used, but you preferred the pizz sounds from a different library. That’s the kind of thing you’ll be able to do.

Uh oh. That sounds pretty awesome.

Thanks for the details.

The you say very soon ; is it by the end of 2016, 2017, 2018 …