VE Pro 6

We can’t give any specific dates, but this is something that we consider to be a very high priority.

Is a pity, because Dorico was a solution, I dont want to wait anymore a Logic Expression Maps !

That’s at least comforting information.

But in V1 you are supporting the Halion Symphonic Orchestra which requires Key Switching of articulations… so, in one way or another, Key Switching must be present? If so, I presume then that it’s hardcoded and not user editable at this point, but would you consider making it user editable as an interim solution until the complete Expression Map system is released?

In fact we’re not yet doing any keyswitching even for HSO, but as we add this, we will add it using Expression Maps so that it is extensible to other libraries.

If you cannot key-switch with HSO, is it not a bit early to bring out Dorico ?

You risk to gain unpopularity

I’m speechless… :unamused: I now fear my crossgrade order on wednesday will be cleared in a matter of minutes, rather than hours/days :open_mouth:

Seriously, this is very surprising. I would have thought that Steinberg had insisted on a tight, seamless integration here from day one. One can only guess what is going on behind the scenes…

I am going to disagree for a minute…

Integration, as far I understood, was never the plan for the first release. I understood that the first point in Dorico was to make an amazing stand alone score writer. Then later down the road, integration would start to be looked at.

Furthermore, I was never under the impression that playback would be finalized on release. In fact, there was comments made by Daniel expressing they were hoping to get playback ready in time for release, in an earlier post. I took that to mean, that there was a chance that Dorico was going to ship without playback at all. In light of more recent things stated, I knew that playback was working in a rudimentary state (very limited), as they just were able to get the playback engine and Dorico to behave well together (as I understood it). I also understood that Daniel and his team have said that whatever wasn’t ready by the initial release would be available over time in updates. Daniel expressed this same sentiment in the video blog of Sonic State. Which was published late September.

I would guess what’s going on behind the scenes is a group of developers, testers, and managers running around like chickens with their heads cut-off, trying to ensure that what ships out Wednesday will be useable from the start to get music into the computer and ready for the printed page. I would also imagine they are going to have people ready to start taking notes about bugs that the normal everyday users are finding that was missed in the beta tester program, and programmers trying to work out those bugs. I would also imagine that they would have a group of people working on trying to implement the newest ideas that they want to tackle in the first update (possibly more robust playback features as the groundwork was designed to allow). I would say, people will be hard at work giving the music community the best they can provide.

I am not worried about the playback in the initial release. Playback for me (and quite a few of my colleagues) is just way to hear a rough idea of what we have written (catching wrong notes, misplaced dynamics, etc.). The computer for me, will never truly replace actual musicians, so it is just a sketch pad of sound that will come alive in the hands of the real musicians. From the Cubase Integration topic, I can see why many people want great integration. But I will say, that not everyone that uses Dorico is going to need that level of playback. I am sure that many people will be just fine with the state of playback that ships with Dorico v1.

Robby

don’t forget that this will only happen if the bean counters in Hamburg deem it worthwhile… it’s just business after all.

It is business, and you have a point with maybe some of the decisions are out of their hands.

But I have a feeling that Steinberg has been relatively hands off in letting this team build the application they want to. I would argue that this team was purposefully scooped up after termination from Avid, with the belief they would be able to do great things.

Robby

And exactly the same is true of Avid and MakeMusic - but history has already told us how worthwhile one of those two companies thought it was. The other one isn’t bringing out much new technology either, so far as I can see.

IMO that leaves one out of three companies with any sort of demonstrated track record over the last two or three years, whether or not people think that track record might have been “better.”

Hm… when I look at the advertising from Steinberg resellers on Google, The Dorico box says quite clearly “Advanced Music Notation System”. It doesn’t say “Advanced Music Playback System”.

I assume somebody from Steinberg approved the packaging design…

The problem is not drawing nice score, the problem with all musical software is the Playback, all must be in sync, it is a big challenge when you are dealing with many brands of plug-ins.
So for the moment Dorico is out of the race. I am not buying a car without it’s engine :wink:

I have waited for this for years, but I wait some more now, no integration puts me out of the market.
Cubase’s current notation at least has display quantise, and it is powerful though old in tooth, I could not see anything in the press release that Cubase old skool could not do, except maybe fancy fonts - it can handle a legible orchestral score and conductor score.