VEP5 slave only seems to connect to 4 MIDI Ports

Hi everyone - if I run VEP5 server as a slave, the vframe instances only show 4 MIDI Ports available.

Example 1: Both Cubase and VEP5 are on the same machine (this works correctly)
Example 2: VEP5 is on a slave computer (this will only show 4 MIDI Ports)

Example 1 Steps :

1. Create a Metaframe and set the Preferences to allow for 16 MidiPorts
  2. Create a Vienna Ensemble Pro vframe with an EastWest Play instrument (Violin for example)
  3. Drag the vframe to the Metaframe to make a VEP5 instance out of it.
  4. Double click on the VEP5 instance to open it in Vienna Ensemble Pro and verify that there are 16 MIDI Ports available to connect with.
  5. Open a Cubase project and hit F11 to open the Rack
  6. Create a VEP5 3 (///) rack instrument
  7. Create a Midi Channel and use the new VEP5 rack instrument for the sound - verify that you have the ability to connect to any of 16 MIDI Ports that were present in Step (4) above.

Example 2 Steps :

1. Create a Metaframe on the Slave and set the Preferences to allow for 16 MidiPorts
  2. Create a Vienna Ensemble Pro vframe on the Slave with an EastWest Play instrument (Violin for example)
  3. Drag the vframe to the Metaframe on the Slave to make a VEP5 instance out of it.
  4. Double click on the VEP5 Slave instance to open it in Vienna Ensemble Pro and verify that there are 16 MIDI Ports available to connect with.
  5. Open the same Cubase project on the Main computer and hit F11 to open the Rack
  6. Create a VEP5 3 (///) rack instrument
  7. Create a Midi Channel and use the new VEP5 rack instrument for the sound
  8. PROBLEM: Only MIDI Ports 1 thru 4 are displayed.
  9. Go back to the VEP5 Server and double click on the Instance
  10. PROBLEM: Now that Cubase has connected to this instance, when viewed from within Vienna Ensemble Pro it now only shows that there are 4 MIDI Ports

Since I am using the same Cubase project for either example, I don’t believe this is a Cubase configuration issue. I have a GB Intel Lan adapter on both computers (connected/tested with a CAT6 cable and a CAT6 crossover cable). Does anyone have any suggestions on what the mechanism is that is limiting the number of MIDI Ports that a Cubase MIDI channel can connect with when the VEP5 servers is on a slave machine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Gene

Was there an answer to this? I have the same issue, with VEPro 6 and Cubase Elements 8, except instead of 8 reduced to 4, I have 16 VEP ports reduced to 8 available in Cubase.

VEP prefs still show 16, and I can create the tracks and route them accordingly.
Cubase - like th OP I am using the identical project file, copied to the Master computer from the Slave on which they originally worked together with 16 ports avail per instance, as per my VEP prefs.

In a thread on VSL forum, a poster with the same problem said he solved it by altering the Cubase prefs in the Master. I have looked through my Cubase prefs for MIDI and VST, but can’t find the solution in Cubase prefs, Project Setup, any of the menus, or manual.

Thanks for any help.

I found the answer at last.

The Settings for how many MIDI ports (each?) instance should have are visible when you click on the cog-wheel icon in the top right hand corner of the Vienna Ensemble instance connection window in Cubase. The number can be changed only by typing on the number itself - the up-down arrows to the right of the numbers don’t work, at least not in my version of Cubase Elements 8.

Hope this helps someone else someday. It was helpful to me to see the OP encountered the same issue, and solved it with a settings change in Cubase.