Version 8.0.10....WHEN???? Cause it is needed!!!!!

I’m back on 7.5.3. I did that when Steinberg told me to wait until the next big service release. Staggering advice, considering I paid for the upgrade!

But in contracts I do, some clients want to work off the same hymn sheet.

I agree with the comments on here. There are features I want to use in 8, sure, but I would not choose to upgrade until a more stable version was released. The problem arises when others have upgraded and they want to work from the same version. Some of my clients have evaluated 8 and won’t touch it as it stands. But others have had no problems and are adopting it or starting to.

This isn’t like previous development upgrades, though. Before I worked in music, I spent 20 years working in computer science and software development in the UK, including running my own software company. If what they have told me is correct (and I’m only going on what they told me), the kind of changes they have made require testing against a wide range of chipsets and GPUs, as they are going to get very different experiences to the computers in their own dev & test suites. There’s a real dichotomy of experience amongst those I work with - some are having no real issues at all with 8, and vice versa.

I don’t particularly want to move to ProTools… I just have to follow what/where/how to get work etc. Currently, most of my work is done in Cubase, but I have a few who insist on using Sonar too.

Stability is mostly to do with the OS.

Updates merely provide application compatibility and usability upgrades, as well as fixing known bugs.

This is the problem, when you try to ‘keep up’ with ‘keeping up’ on a continual basis. Good for Steinberg trying to sell software, bad for those who jump on the latest & greatest new carrot stick.

It’s worse for those like me, who get caught up in the jetwash of others who upgrade too quickly.