Vertical Staff

Anothe question about layout.
Can I change the vertical distance of staves on different pages with another distance?

:slight_smile:

You can do all sorts of things and in various ways – can you share a picture or a project that shows what’s prompted this question, so someone here can recommend the most suitable method for that scenario?

I want more distance between the different exercises.
For the moment I only use 1 music frame

If you want a bigger distance between each exercise throughout this layout, change the default flow heading margins for the entire layout. Those dashed green frames are the flow headings.

Yes this is ok for me
In this exemple the 2 last flows are in fact one exercise (in different keys)
There I want less distance but above the “Moderato” exercise I want more distance.

Sorry but my english is not the best . . . :frowning:

That’s OK, just trying to make sure I understand what you’re doing in order to make the best suggestion.

As you want different gaps above/below flow headings on the same page, you could either:

• Use the Staff Spacing tool to move staves/systems in Engrave mode, including using concertina dragging. The downside to this is you might need to move quite a few staves, and these adjustments can get lost if the page number changes (eg if you insert a title page at the beginning, you might lose all staff spacing adjustments). Note that flow headings are positioned relative to the system, so moving the smaller staff handles won’t also move the flow heading frames.

• Split the page up into frames, and control the gaps that way (probably 3 music frames: one for the top flow, one for the middle flow, and a third for the bottom two). You can either do this locally on one page, or create a page template so you can easily reuse that arrangement of frames on other pages.

Many many thank’s for that.

This is very helpful for understanding a problem that I’m trying to solve.

I have two flows on one page.

I’d like to be to adjust staff spacing on the top flow on that page to give more space. But, the problem I run into is that I run into the flow heading for the second piece and it won’t move down automatically to re-create the margins top and bottom that are set in the settings.

Any suggestions? I know that layout overrides are really not the way to go for these things.

First, make sure there are no overrides on the page. Then use the Change flow headings… to modify the gaps before and after the second flow headings. These settings are really convenient!

Flow headings move with the top system of the flow beneath them. If you’re adjusting staff spacing manually on a page, you should find that also moving the lower flow’s first system down brings its flow heading with it, provided there aren’t already page overrides as Marc said.

2 Likes

Thanks Marc and Lillie,

I understand how to change the spacing above and below the flow headings - that makes sense. The thing about overrides on the page, though, is that when you have to change staff spacing, your by definition adding overrides to the page. I’m confused about that part of it.

Lillie’s comment that to give more space at the end of one flow, you actually need to first pull down the flow below makes sense. many thanks.

Can I tag on another question about staves??

In engraving mode I somehow toggled on a thing that shows me what percentage of a staff is filled with notes. It’s pretty nifty, but I can’t figure out how to hide it.

any suggestions?

Why would you want to hide it? If you are interested just in layout, switch to Write Mode (Page view).

1 Like

Hi Janus,

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I want to hide it because I don’t want to see it.

I find it distracting and unhelpful.

I find it distracting and unhelpful when I am in engraving mode because I need to do work in Engravinge Mode.

It is “nifty” as I originally wrote. But I do not see it in the other scores that I’ve created and I don’t want to have it on my screen unless I specifically want to make use of that analysis tool.

I don’t know what Dorico calls this feature, so having looked in the “view” menu and some other places, I am out of luck in figuring out what to click to get it to go away.

Thanks, JW.

OK, but if you are engraving, then you are likely concerned with detailed layout - perhaps considering moving things between systems… Personally I find it very helpful to know how full Dorico thinks a system is, when making those decisions. But, hey, each to their own.

Thank Janus,

I think the point here is to follow @Pianolo’s lead (I think I’m attributing this idea to the correct person), which is to not question why a person wants to do something, or to do something in a particular way, but to address the question that’s being asked.

I’m asking a pretty straightforward question about how to change a view that I don’t remember seeing in earlier versions of Dorico (though I’m frequently wrong about these things).

And, regardless of whether this feature was or wasn’t in an earlier version of Dorico, what I’m asking to learn how to do is to toggle it off so that I don’t see it unless I want to.

It may be extremely helpful for you in your work. It’s not helpful (or rarely helpful) in my work, and I am “selfishly” asking a question about how to accommodate my personal workflow.

I’m not a classical or film, or orchestral composer. I work in an almost completely different kind of music, and therefore my needs and desires in using Dorico may feel strange to those who come from these more “traditional” music engraving worlds. That doesn’t make my needs any less valid, and it doesn’t change the fact that I use Dorico professionally.

I’m working very hard to understand how Dorico thinks – which has turned out to be more challenging than any music engraving program I’ve ever used. So at the root of this question is what do you call that thing on the end of the system in engraving mode that calculates how much of the system has been used?

If you can’t name a thing, you can’t search for a thing, and if you can’t search for the thing, you can’t even begin to figure out how to modify its appearance.

The follow on question is, if this is a permanent and unmutable feature in Dorico, can I make a feature request to ask that there be an option to toggle it on/off in the view?
Thanks JW

It has always been there.
AFAIK. No, you cannot switch it off.

And there you are making the same assumptions about me that you accuse me of making about you.

Please accept my apology for make an assumption about how you work or what your music background is. Based on much of the discussion I see in this space, Dorico primarily serves that kind of community.

What remains true is that different people have different needs. Telling people that they shouldn’t want what they want is not an effective way to answer a question or solve a problem.