Vertical spacing question

Good afternoon,
I am trying to modify vertical spaces between every saxophone staff and I cannot find the way to do it automatically. I want to get the Sopranino and Bass closer to the margins in order to have more than 6,3mm between staves, but when I modify the Ideal Gaps in Layout Options the spacing between staves remain the same and I have to modify the spacing staff per staff. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

If you mean you want to change the gaps above and below the system overall (ie above the top staff and below the bottom staff), you need to change the music frame margins (the top/bottom padding inside the blue music frame). Whatever your ideal gaps, staves won’t go inside this padding.

You may also want to change the flow heading bottom margin (the gap between the bottom of the green flow heading text frame and the top staff in the flow).

2 Likes

Notice (in the lower-right corner) that your page is already >115% full vertically, with no notes in. You’ll have to make the space size smaller to fit 12 staves on that size page. Only when that percentage indicator is below 100 will you see any effect of changing the ideal gap settings.

1 Like

That 115% indication takes the minimum gaps values (ideal gaps in Layout options>Vertical spacing) into account. You can set the space size smaller, but you can also set the inter-staff gap to a smaller value. And of course, Lillie’s advice stands : the larger the “usable” vertical space in the frame for the music, the smaller this percentage will be.

1 Like

Hello again @gualgasull – in case it’s still helpful to you, here’s a link to a new page in the v4 manual that has a labelled picture showing what different margins/gaps are called and pointing you towards how you can change them.

2 Likes