Vertical spacing

Hello…

I wondered why I am getting these collisions in my custom score on the second page here?

Here is how the first page looks

And here are my IDEAL GAPS…from LAYOUT OPTIONS

I also tried copying the STAFF Spacing from page 1 onto page 2 ( I LOVE this feature - when it works!!) but this did not solve any of the collision issues.

Any thoughts out there?

Thank you again!

Amanda

There are 10 staves on the first page but 27 on the second and I suspect the offending collisions are caused by insufficient space. Try increasing the size of the page you are printing to or decreasing the size of the music font.

Thanks Mike,

I already had both.

I have the size at A3 and the space size at 3 its

I am trying to avoid having to manually go and tweak the space size as it it can be very time consuming.

What I did do was change the music frame margins top=20 and Bottom= 20 and it made it a little less crowded.

Thank again!

If you calculate how tall a page is needed to have 27 staves spaced as per your “IDEAL GAPS” (allowing for extra room where notes with ledger lines require wider spaces between staves), you will probably find that 27 size 3 staves won’t fit on an A3 page. It might be possible to make do by making manual adjustments but, like you, I would prefer to avoid the extra work. Have you considered reducing some or all of the “ideal gaps” you have selected, combining some staves, at least for pages that are problematic (for example, violins 1 & 2 share the same notes in the short page 2 example provided), or reducing the space size below 3, although I realize that is already small. I sympathize with your quandry and hope this helps.

I would suggest reducing the ideal gaps between staves, between stave-stave group, and between stave group-stave group, as that will prompt Dorico to try to space the staves more closely, and then only deviate from that when something high or low outside the staff requires it.