Very disappointed

I had such high hopes for Dorico only to find that it’s not fully functional. How can I compose when key actions such as pizzicato and staccato don’t work? My only recourse is to continue to use Sibelius for my work and hope that
a) My payment for Dorico is ultimately not wasted; and
b) They get a properly functioning product sorted out soon.

Given the years of great service I have got from Cubase, I’m seriously disappointed with Dorico. Come of Steinberg, give us a product which lives up to your hype.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re disappointed with Dorico. We’ve tried to be as clear as possible that playback is just at the early stages and that there is a plan to address these issues in regular free updates.

The problem is that playback is every thing for me. I don’t use Sibelius or other scoring software simply to produce printed scores. I use them to write music which is played by the computer.

The rudimentary state of playback has been clearly stated by the Steinberg team for months…

I understand your disappointment, but it has indeed be clearly stated that playback features were in progress.

I have some regrets on my own about the ergonomy, but I still feel confident and don’t regret to be among the early adopters. Please bear in mind that Dorico is in its early stages… Rome has not been built in four years… The philosophy behind this product is to built features on very solid foundations. I trust Daniel and its team to take full advantage of this solid base in the near future. It’s good investment for them, and for us, instead of building a quick-and-dirty solution…

In the meantime, if your needs are about playback, I am sure it is wise to stick on Sibelius for a few month and learn Dorico on your free time… (besides, you certainly did not plan to switch right away on the very first week?)

Cheers :slight_smile:

It’s important to remember that Finale, Sibelius, and Dorico are Notation/Engraving software and not DAW. If you’re using Sibelius to make audio you will be disappointed in comparison to using an actual software for producing audio. It’s like being frustrated that Microsoft Word doesn’t let you do in depth editing of graphics.

They have at least demonstrated some of the audio functions that Dorico WILL have, giving you a lot of options and almost combining the notation program with a built-in DAW.

It’s certainly not there yet, and we can argue until we’re blue in the face that perhaps it wasn’t quite ready for a 1.0 release. It does feel a bit more like a beta, in my opinion, but stay vigilant that they are continuing to fix these issues we’re noticing and it will quickly improve. Keep an eye out for those updates!

I disagree. Those programs are also used and marketed as composing tools, that’s why, for instance Sibelius has the ability to make retrogradations or melodic inversions with plugins.

For me, Finale, Sibelius and Dorico are not only notation/engraving software. I use them as a composition tool and as a kind-of-DAW, to get fast results being able to listen what I’m composing.

In my experience, if you believe anything written by any company’s marketing department, you usually get what you deserve.

At least with Dorico we are getting a lot of information straight from the head of the Product development team (i.e. Daniel) - not filtered through the marketing department!

(Sibelius used to be like that as well, back in the day…)

Don’t tell anyone, but the way Steinberg organises product management, project management and marketing, combining those three functions into two departments, I am technically in the marketing department… but I hope that you will always feel that I am transparent and generally don’t use marketing-speak too much.

To Alekssdunn: I am perfectly aware that Sibelius is not a DAW. I use it to compose and fine tune by listening. I then either export as audio and/or midi for mixing and finishing in Cubase or Studio One. I agree whole-heartedly with Alroli, Sibelius can produce some remarkably good results which can be brought to a very good state of polish in a DAW. The composing strength and production weaknesses of Sibelius dovetail beautifully with Cubase or Studio One.

Dorico will no doubt be a real contender, but give the weak playing capabilities, not just yet.

I won’t worry about what department you are in unless you start posting stuff about “looking forward towards disruptive leveraging opportunities for an upcoming paradigm shift” … :smiley:

(But having worked with some German engineering companies, I know they can be quite a bit more serious and formal about organization charts and suchlike than the Brits sometimes are!)