Very Frustrating Audio Outputs [MAC]

I just recently purchased Cubase 6 yesterday and im really having a big issue with the audio output on the program. I use a FireStudio Mobile and a MacBook Pro hooked to my Fantom X6 for Midi. It worked right after installation but it wasnt until a few hours then it started chopping in and out then it would just cut out for a hour or so and now i cant get any sound out of it.

I have read around and ive tried numerous was of switching between the outputs in Devices > Device Setup and Device >VST Connections
at one point i had all 6 of my 8 MPC5k outs going into cubase and 2 from my microKORG so i know how to get the setting right… but for some reason it just wont make any sound at all… even from the Built In audio output. Heck I even changed the Mac Sound > Outputs to the FireStudio and it would not make sound either…

For speakers I use 2 Mackie MR5’s and i know they work because i test them on my mpc direct outs also…

Also if anyone who reads this knows how to sync (MIDI) my MPC5k to Cubase 6 so that Play on Cubase = Play on MPC5K…???

Prefix your thread title [Mac].

then it would just cut out for a hour or so and now i cant get any sound out of it.

You may be suffering from a Presonus driver issue. Their drivers have been historically problematic. Sometimes the issue is solved simply by opening their control panel and resetting some of the parameters (even though it may look correct, it actually is not and needs to be “toggled”).

Other Mac users have described your problem and have solved it by updating the driver:

http://www.presonus.com/media/downloads/PreSonus-Universal-Control-Installer-ver-1_2.dmg

Pay attention here…simply installing this newer driver over the one that came with your unit, may not fix it. The original driver and all its elements have to removed first, in order for this to work properly. If you already installed the update over the original…it may very well be screwed up already. So you have to remove the whole thing and install from the updater file only (which is actually an entire install).

This bit is important, so pay attention. Problem is…the Presonus driver installer drops a lot of stuff all over the place…and you have to know where all bodies are buried in order to remove them all. So I’ve taken a screen shot of their installer package showing every place they dump stuff. I’ve red-arrowed what needs to go before you reinstall.

I hope this solves the problem because beyond this, I’ve got nothin’.

Your other problem requires sending MTC out of Cubase to MTC in on your AKAI. You’re going to have to open the Cubase Sync panel (Command/Click on the SYNC button in the Transport) and assign MTC out to the Presonus which in turn should be passed through to the AKAI. You’ll need to open the AKAI’s sync dialog and set it to receive MTC from the Presonus.

As to the remark from troll-boy Brains: Why don’t you go into every PC thread and tell all those posters to put [PC] into their titles? That should bump your mindless quest for the ultimate post count by about a thousand or so.

wow thx alot man i really wish i had known this before i purchased it. It sucks to finally have everything you need equipment wise and can use it because u cant hear smh. but imma re read your post about 6 more times before i try installing the update and thx alot man i really hope this works…

how do i find access to all those files???

It all there in the screenshot. Follow the hierarchy to get to the proper folders/files.

Here are the pathways described for the first four in the picture. The highlighted ones are what get sent to the Trash.

RootDrive/Applications/Universal Control.app
RootDrive/Library/Application Support/PaeFireStudio
RootDrive/LibraryApplication Support/ /Presonus/Devices
RootDrive/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/PaeFireStudioMIDIDriver.plugin

You should be able to figure out the rest. It’s pretty obvious you haven’t rummaged around much inside your Mac if you asked that question…so here’s my advise. Take your time and don’t empty the Trash until after you’ve reinstalled the driver and have tested everything to your satisfaction.

There may be other Presonus FSM/Macbook users who are reading this that may have other suggestions if this “driverectomy” fails to restore your outputs. Let’s see how it goes and take it from there.

weasel said

As to the remark from troll-boy Brains: Why don’t you go into every PC thread and tell all those posters to put [PC] into their titles? That should bump your mindless quest for the ultimate post count by about a thousand or so.

+1

I do wish brains would f*ck off, I’ve had enough of him. :imp: