Very small suggestion: "mezza voce" as a dynamic suffix/prefix

It’s very common for scores to use “sotto voce”, “mezza voce” and “piena voce” in place of dynamic markings, particularly in 19th century music. These are easy enough to create through entering “pp sotto voce” in the popover and then hiding the pp, etc. However, “p mezza voce” or similar cannot be entered in the popover because “mezza” is taken as a modifier of “p”, rather than a prefix or suffix. It can be done by entering “p”/“mp” (whatever the desired dynamic is) into the popover and then adding “mezza voce” as prefix/suffix in Properties, but in the interests of time saving when writing, it may be a relatively quick fix to simply remove “mezza” from the list of modifiers (since, as far as I know, it isn’t ever used in the same sense as “mezzo”) so that it can be directly entered as a suffix without having to go through Properties.

(It will be more complicated to try to turn these into dynamic markings directly without the need for a hidden dynamic, so I’m not proposing that at present, although that’s also a possibility.)

Though with loudness implications, are not these more “Playing” Techniques than dynamics? I would suggest defining them as such and then they can easily be added to the score by means of Shft-P.

David

If you are hiding the pp (or p) are you not going through the Properties Panel anyway?

Well, yes. But it’s very slightly less work to type “p mezza voce” into the popover and hide the intensity marking than it is to type “p” into the popover, hide the intensity marking, and then enter “mezza voce” as suffix text. One less step from a workflow perspective. (It saves probably half a second of time. That’s why this is an extremely small suggestion.)

1 Like

IIRC this is an area where the team needs to go back and re-work the way Dorico parses the popover content (as well as gradual dynamics — thinking about affrettando, stentando, etc) — same problem happens if you need to write con forza. But since it’s totally possible to input those (even if the workflow is not as straightforward as itcould be), I understand it has not hit the top of the priority pile yet.

1 Like

I don’t understand why mezza should be interpreted as the mezzo in mp. There’s no such thing as mezza piano or piano mezza. I know there’s a lot of ‘pig Italian’ out there, but this is just ungrammatical, and not something Dorico needs to facilitate.

3 Likes