Very strange project save bug

EDIT: apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I’m not quite sure if it’s a bug or a config issue

This issue started a few days ago. OS: Win10, DAW: Cubase 8.5 (latest build)

For this bug, I have autosave turned off. I am saving the project, not saving as a new version

Let’s say I’m working on Project-04.cpr. This project has been saved as a new version a few times, hence the -04 appended at the end of the filename. However, at some point during the session, usually some time after saving the current project, this project file is deleted entirely and multiple new versions exist in its place (Project-05, Project-06 etc., sometimes up to Project-12 and more).

So to reiterate: This occurs after I save the project normally, not as a new version. Furthermore, saving as a new version doesn’t remove the existing project file, yet with this strange bug the current project version is deleted entirely and many more are spawned in its place.

I’ve not had this issue in the 10+ years of using Cubase so I’m fairly sure it’s not a option or anything that’s accidentally been turned on. Any ideas?

Hi,

This sounds really strange. I haven’t hear about something similar, so I’m just guessing… Isn’t there any new version control system on Win10? Or isn’t your folder under any version control system?

Once this occures, can you see the new name (lets say -05) in the header of the Project window, where the name is displayed? Does it mean you really work on the new version (-05)? Or do you work on the “old” one (-04) and the new one is just in a background?

Do you know the Size of the new file? Can you copy it Out of the folder and try to open it? How does the project look like? In which state is it?

Hi Martin, thanks for your response.

Not to that I am aware of. The puzzling thing is the removal of the original file, something I wouldn’t attribute to some accidental Cubase setting or Win10 version control

Once this occures, can you see the new name (lets say -05) in the header of the Project window, where the name is displayed? Does it mean you really work on the new version (-05)? Or do you work on the “old” one (-04) and the new one is just in a background?

I will keep my eyes peeled for this and report back as I haven’t been able to catch it in the act yet. I’ve tried to recreate the issue and I’ve also been monitoring the folder but it always seems to happen when I let my guard down :laughing:

Do you know the Size of the new file? Can you copy it Out of the folder and try to open it? How does the project look like? In which state is it?

They’re all around the size of the original project file and all open fine. It’s as if autosave had gone rogue and saved some new versions while deleting the original :question:

Ok, I’ve spotted what’s happening. At some point during the session:

1. I save the project normally
  2. A new version of the project appears
  3. The original project file then disappears
  4. The project name in the Cubase title bar is the original project name

If I save again:

1. A file with the original project name is created
  2. A project with an incremented version number appears
  3. The original project file is not deleted
  4. The project name in the Cubase title bar is the original project name

If I save again, I start back at the first set of steps…

Hi,

Correct me, if I’m wrong, please.

1. You have “Project-01.cpr” file.
  2. Save [Ctrl+S] => In the File Explorer, the “Project-02.cpr” appears
  3. Project-01.cpr" disappears in the File Explorer.
  4. In Cubase, you can see “Project-01”.

Save again

1. “Project-01” appears in the File Explorer.
  2. “Project-02” appears in the File Explorer.
  3. In Cubase, you can see “Project-01”.

Am I right?

@Hattrixx, do you have the same issue?

Hi Martin, yes, that is correct.

Hi,

I just tried to reproduce it on Win10, but no “success”. I mean, it works as expected here. No “Project-02.cpr” file is created.

Auto-save was switched Off.

Hi Martin,

I’m going to try with a new project and see if it’s just a corruption of that particular project (and its children). I’ll report back.

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue (Win 7, Cubase 8.5), which puzzled me a lot as a long-time Cubase user. Never encountered anything like this before.

However, I noted that this only occurs when I save my projects directly to a Dropbox folder (I sometimes work on a Macbook from home and want everything to be 100% synched between the computers). If I save to a non-Dropbox folder or deactivate Dropbox, everything seems to behave normally.