Video Cut Detection

I don’t seem to have any luck with video cut detection. When I do run it the detected video cuts often end up not on frame boundaries. The error appears to be quite random. If I use cycle markers sometimes there are holes between cuts too.

Does anyone else have problems with video cut detection accuracy?

I’m using Nuendo 11 but had the same issue in 10.

I’ve tried it only once but didn’t really end up using it much. Perhaps I’ll try it today again and report back.

One thing comes to mind though: What video codec are you using? Sort of top off my head I could imagine getting different results for different formats… maybe…

I have a whole workflow based on videocut detection scenes. Actually I used only position markers and it worked fine. Markers were inserted exactly on changes of real scenes in video(mp4 and dnxhd). Have to say that there’s another bug regarding marker insertion. When you make a marker (manually or it made by videocut detection) sometimes it inserts not exactly on frame grid, it places a very little bit earlier than grid. It doesn’t happen with all markers, just several of them, maybe 20-30%. And it causes some further issues in my workflow. Just made a macro that fix position of markers exactly by grid. That’s it, no more problem with videocut detection.

I use DNxHD and sometimes ProRes and have tried at various different frame rates.

Apart from finding it inaccurate I also find it excruciatingly slow.

I have resorted to using an app called Handysaw DS which will rip through almost any video file at blinding speed and creates a CMX3600 EDL that I can then import into a Nuendo marker track as loop markers. It’s a tad less convenient but so fast and accurate. Only catch is it’s PC only.

Why don’t you just ask for EDL exports along with the delivery from pic editing? It’s a very quick export for them.

I always do. Thus I rarely use the cut detection.

Are you on Windows or OS X? On Windows 10 I haven’t seen issues with holes in cycle markers. Usually the cuts line up with actual video cuts, but depending on the sensitivity setting, it could add too many unnecessary cuts. There is always cleanup to do. My issue is the detection algorithm doesn’t work well for Text slides (think PowerPoint) and spits out lots of cuts.

It still helps for getting the general list of most of the cuts I would want to know about. Hopefully it continues to be developed and improved.

I have recently discovered this (after 11 years of nuendo, yay), if you can get an edl, it’s the quickest way to go.

It’s a good suggestion and I have had editors deliver edls but it’s not always possible or convenient.

My main concern though is that I can’t seem to get usable results from this Nuendo function and would like to see if I am doing something wrong or if other people are experiencing the same issue.

1 Like

This doesn’t seem to work any better in N13.

I use a program called HandySaw DS which does this very quickly and accurately but was hoping for convenience it would work reliably in N13. Still no good for me.

I’m in N12 and find it very useful. It works really well on animation and live action with very clear distinct cuts, but it sometimes flags a cut when there is none. That happens a lot on light flashes or when a big truck passes by in a shot (in other words, when there is a big contrast between a few frames). Also it becomes harder for an algo to find cut when not a lot changes (timelapses or jumpcuts with similar visuals).

You could perhaps doublecheck if the framerates you are working might be the cause of the issues. I work mostly in 25 and 24 fps and have good enough results, but if your markers are not on exactly on the grid it could be a videosync issue… ?

Also I think you are on windows, due to the handysaw reference, nothing in your signature though, maybe update that to get better support/feedback.

1 Like

Good idea re signature.

Currently working at 23.976. I just tried it a little while agon and the results were pretty unusable. I moved the first region to a cut but the cut points seemed to drift out after a little while.

It really seemed to struggle find cuts in the program I tested. When I moved the sensitivity slider to find cuts in a certain area it ended up being too sensitive in other areas.

It is also so very slow. HandySaw which is sadly PC only will rip through a half hour program in no time at all. I’ll just stick with that I think

Hmm. Have you tried with other fps files? Maybe even convert some files and see if that helps?

I’ll give a 25fps a go and report back

1 Like

Did a test at 25FPS and it worked. I really like the way it colours the markers

It seems I was being silly. I must not have had the first frame perfectly aligned to a frame boundary or something stupid as it seems to working well. A bit slow and tricky finding the balance between false positives and missed cuts but I imagine that is impossible to get right all of the time.

1 Like

Glad to hear it works. Maybe also check if it works now with other framerates because it could still be a bug. If not, great!, change the subject to solved by marking my post as Solution. Easier for developers roaming here for bugs.

1 Like

I have used it and didn’t have any issues, its not as intuitive but does what it is supposed to do.
I am right now finishing a documentary project and as soon as I get some time I will post the whole work flow.