Video Decoder for Avid DNxHD® and Nuendo 8.0.15 released

That is a good resource Timo.

For those that need to use 29.976 and 23.976 frame rates, the lines where you see, as an example “30000/1” that number represents the framerate 29.976, one of the standard broadcast frame rates in North America and likewise 24000/1 is for 23.976 fps.

Reading these video threads makes me realize how thankful I am to just be a straight-up music producer in the mainstream market.

No, that’s the biggest problem … the “parking” can not be trusted, you are never sure that the “correct” frame will be displayed.

All the codecs will play frame accurate if the frame rate matches the frame rate of your Nuendo session (and your blackmagic card output) , but when skipping thru the image in stop, spotting FX and nudging, you will be off pretty much all of the time.
Basically only I-frame codecs are frame accurate under all circomstances.

Fredo

If I may ask Fredo…which software would be most reliable to convert an H264 or other heavily compressed format to DNxHD, ProRes or PJpeg?

Linze

We use Xmedia Recode.
It might look fishy at firts sight, but it is fantastic.
And extremely fast.

Windows only though …

Fredo

Xmedia Recode is a very good graphical frontend for FFMPEG.

Thanks Fredo.

And I can second Xmedia Recode. I took Fredo’s advice and it’s good. It isn’t as beautiful as a rose… but it works very well…

Thx!..used that some time ago…seems like a good piece of software indeed…!

Am I correct in assuming the bitrates in the DNxHD profiles are fixed, and the 1080P/25 36 is the smallest bitrate for that resolution?

Correct

Is there a download link for the Decoder?
I purchased it in July for both my Macs, but I “forgot” to install it on one of them, so on this machine DNxHD-files won’t display…
I can’t find a proper download link for my purchase though, and Steinberg Support hasn’t responded yet.
Is there a way I can copy my installed decoder from “the working computer” to the “non-working computer”?

Any help welcome.
Niek/ Amsterdam.

Hey Fredo.
I started using Xmedia.
Pro res isnt there, I dont have the NDxHD codec - Can you help me find where is the Photo Jepg codec in xmedia?

You must be doing soemtging wrong.
In the video-tab:

HTH
Fredo

Probably - I dont know. I just dont have pro res option.

look:

It is because you have chosen “mp4” in your Format settings.
(Previous page/format)
This should be set to .mov.

Fredo

OK Fredo, found it!

I had to change the format to MOV before using Pro Res. In Xmedia Pro Res is part of the MOV package.

Ha.
we answerd at the same time. :slight_smile:

Thnx a lot Fredo!

I want to be so happy as well :astonished:
I just installed the Avid DNxHD expansion but when i try to activate it on the eLicenser Control Center i dont see it among the other apps.
any ideas?
Thanks

Hi – any luck with this? I’m trying to use it with Cubase 9.5, but no success so far. I’ve installed and activated the codec, but MXF/DNxHD files are not recognized by Cubase.

I hope you figured out by now that Cubase/Nuendo supports DNxHD but the MXF container is not supported
The DNxHD support works nice and smooth with the new video engine but you must know that the DNx video has to wraped inside .Mov container (not MXF !) otherwise it will only import the audio to your Nuendo/Cubase.
I believe in time MXF as video wrapper/container will be added to the supported formats but at the moment it is not there, please consult the current supported matrix here:

Plus very important to know that Avid DNxHD/HR supports only standard video dimensions, frame rate with specific video bitrate accordingly.
Here are the links for the relevant Avid Knowledge Base documentation:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/White_Paper/HD-and-SD-Media-Bandwidth-Specifications
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/White_Paper/DNxHR-Codec-Bandwidth-Specifications
If you need to convert your videos into good working DNxHD format wraped inside .Mov container you can download the ER Media ToolKit.

It uses FFmpeg but does all the dirty work underneath so it makes your life ten times easier.
If you have any questions about DNxHD/HR, ProRes, H264 and other supported formats I’ll be happy to help.