Video display not frame accurate since Cubase 9.5 up to Cubase 10

I see this complaint repeated quite a lot in many forms, and it’s a common misconception.
The video playback is extremely accurate when used with proper video formats.
H264 (AVC) is indeed a supported video format. Still, it’s the most dangerous one for DAW playback as it lets you compress the video so much that real-time decoding becomes almost impossible without dropping frames, not to mention stuttering playback, and a huge waste of system resources just to present the video.
It may sound ridiculous to you, but the smaller the file size, the harder it is to playback it properly. Just like you wouldn’t use highly compressed mp3 or aac audio and should always convert it into uncompressed PCM Audio (.Wav) when you bring it into your project, you should prepare/convert your videos for the best performance in your DAW (any DAW).
Experienced Post-Production users who professionally produce audio-for-video always convert their videos into something that will work properly before importing it and starting to work.
Many pros use a tool I wrote, ER Media ToolKit, when they want to save time and still make sure the video they create will be optimized for DAW work. It is the only video converting tool that was designed especially for pro playback needs.
If you’d like to read more about why h264 is bad for playback, I explained it in more details here:

2 Likes