"Video Engine has stopped working" Cubase 6.0.3

I have recently updated to Cubase 6.0.3 and I started having problems with the video Engine. Cubase stop working just at any time, it freeze, and after I end the process in the task manager I get this message “Video Engine has stopped working”

Have anyone experience the same problem?

After I called to the department support they told me to take out the videoengine.dll from C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Components.

Now cubase is working ok but without video engine. The peolpe from de department support told me they will only work in an update to correct this problem if more people experiment this problem.

yes, lots of people experience this.

Thanks mait for the replay :wink:

The problem:

• Open Cubase
  • Cubase freeze
  • End task in Taskmanager
  • Error message: “Video Engine has stopped working”

← No, this is not a common problem that occures often.

Taking out the “videoengine.dll”
from
“C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Components”
is an emergencey solution to avoid problems with the video eingine if it is not needed for the proejct in the first place so you can get going.

Of course you should have also received other advice. Like for instance to update your displaycard drivers and to optimize your system as described in the “Optimizing Windows for DAW’s” Knowledge Base Article. For troubleshooting purposes you could deactivate your display card drivers or even those of other devices and see if you still can reproduce the problem.

The problem:

• Open Cubase
  • Cubase freeze
  • End task in Taskmanager

It is not a common problem but a problem that is related to your system. What have you already done to minimize the sources of error or solve the problem?

Could you post your system information here?
What other tasks are running in the background?

Gr,
JHP

Hi there…
just updated to version 6.0.3 and now my video dont works proprely.
It video itself works fine but not sounds wave below the frames, which mean
not sounds at wall. I’ve through many way to fix it but not solution…

“Extract audio from video” is ticked,
The files is compatible with c6 (MPEG and AVI)
Drag-and-drop from media bay and pool.

not sound at all…

cheers

L.

Hi JHP, thanks for your advices!
First I would like to say that I´ve been working with cubase since 4 years and with the same DAW computer since 2 years and this is the first time I got this problem.( so I don´t think it´s something related to the hardware or drivers)
My sistem is a:
i7 - 980 3.33 GHz 12MB Cache, 24 GB RAM, Win 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Ge FOrce 9400 GT, Cubase 6.0.3,RME Hammerfall DSP.
I´m also working with viennaensamble pro 64 bits.
Cubase 6.0.3 64 bit and 32 bits ( both experiment the same problem).
I´m not working with video, basically I´m working with alot of vst instruments, editing midi, doing bounces, using some reverbs and that it´s.(Kontakt, vienna instruments, GVI)
What I have done to minimize the sources of error or solve the problem is:
Updated RME driver, Updated Nvidia driver, I followed all the tips in the Optimizing Windows for DAW’s ( I did it last year), I minimises all the graphic resources. I updated flash payer, I disconnect secondary services, etc.

Today after updated the RME driver and the video driver (following some of your tips)I have introduce the videoengine .dll and it was working ok until 5 hours of hard work. Then Cubase freeze again ( I lost my not saved changes) and the message came again “Video engine has stopped working”.

Why could it be the Nvidia driver or another hardware the reason of this problem, if I have been working really good until now with the same daw?
I have found a lot of message in the forum about problems with the video engine.

I´m in the middle of one project so as soon as I can I will let you know if I found something else,
but for now it´s really difficult for me identify what is the problem because it happens at any time and with out not reason.
Sometimes I have the feeling it could be the auto saving (every 35 minuts), but after the crash when I restart cubase it will crash in 5 minutes, so I don´t really know.
The only thing I notice is that this happens when I change the screen, (if I’m in the key editor and then I close it, or if I open audio pool and close it, then freeze). It is only one impression because I´m not 100% sure.
Thank you

Doesnt work here either, thumbnails etc for the video shows correct, but when loading in a project I can see a quick flash of the movie in the video window before it turs black! 6.0.3

I´ll have to go back to 6.0.2

Exactly the same problem here. Highly unlikely to be a system or driver incompatibility issue as, like previous poster, have not changed the system for years and was running fine

Cubase now very unstable and crashes (locks up) in the middle of a project, specifically.

• Open Cubase
  • Cubase freeze
  • End task in Taskmanager (as only way to close)

and lost all saved work, no backup created.

Is this being looked at or do we need to roll back to a previous version?

It’s hard for me to tell what the problem is. For the start here is one suggestion.
The latest driver pack for NVIDIA Ge FOrce 9400 GT was released 2011.08.09.
Amongst others this here is for Windows 7 64bit

Install the latest drivers again. After this open the Nvidia control panel and trim the settings for best performance. Turn off or down any setting that could make calculations more complex and increase strain on the system.

I will continue to investigate and let you know what I find.
Gr,
JHP

For me… nothing crashes, thumbnail cache is working and showing, but Video window is black, if I hit F8 to make the video window disappear and then back again, I see 1 frame before its pitch black again!

Win7, Latest drivers, updated Quicktime, 6.0.3

…anyway, rolled back to 6.0.2 and its working fine so I stay there :slight_smile:

I have just reinstalled Cubase and went back to 6.0.2
and I´m glad to say that all problems disappeared.
I would add to the problems of Cubase 6.0.3 that It´s not possible to create a VST preset.
I think this is enough to say that this is not a hardware problem.

Similar problems here.
Since the update to C6.0.3 Cubase will crash randomly, most of the time with the video engine error message.

Tried the solution in the first post (renamed videoengine.dll) - worked! No problems anymore.

I upgraded my grafics drivers anyway (Matrox Millennium P690 PCIe x16).
Now Cubase 6 won’t start anymore (Cubase6.exe - Fehler in Anwendung || Die Anwendung konnte nicht richtig initialisiert werden (0x0150002). Klicken Sie auf “OK”, um die Anwendung zu beenden.)

Tried system restore; after restore C6 tries to start, then cancels with an error message “skin file is missing” / “couldn’t load GUI”

now I can’t start C6 at all… :imp:

Update: undid the restore, found out the errormessage (0x0150002) had to do with eLicenser/NET Framework, installed NET Framework 3.5SP1. Now C6 starts again, even with the new drivers. But: same faulty behavior, so I deactivated videoengine.dll

Hi,
It seems that the problem could be related to 3rd party plugins.
Can you reproduce the problem if you rename…

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins
and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins

to

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins_inactive
and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins_inactive

Can you nail down the issue to a certain plugin?
Are any of you using “Motif Editor” or the plugin “Altiverb”?

Gr,
JHP

Hi JHP,
Yes I´m using Altiverb but I already went back to 6.0.2 and now the problem is gone.
Unfortunately I can´t continue looking for the problem as I ´m in the middle of a production right now.
I´m also using vienna ensamble pro and kontakt 4.
But as I said with 6.0.2 I don´t have any problem and I am happy working within it.
:smiley:
This problem with the video engine, in my opinion, it´s has relation with the changes done in the video engine which are specifide in the version history ( video improvements)
I also founded some people having the same problem within Nuendo where they mention altiverb.

I think it is pretty obvious that if this does not happen with cubase 6.0.2 then you need to undo some changes or something.
:wink:

In this case we probably pinned the problem down to be related with the Altiverb plugin.
I will let the respective departments and the engineer know of this thread.
The video engine is constantly evolving and optimized so this is why changes from 6.02 to 6.03 have been introduced. The issue will be investigated on.

For now as a workaround you can remove the Altiverb.dll from your VSTPlugins folder to avoid the problem.

Thank you for your specific report and constructiveness,
Gr,
JHP

Can you nail down the issue to a certain plugin?
Are any of you using “Motif Editor” or the plugin “Altiverb”?

I’m not using any of the plugins mentioned above (i.e. they are not installed on my system).

Can you reproduce the problem if you prevent the 3rd party plugins from being loaded?

Can you reproduce the problem if you rename…

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins
and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins

to

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins_inactive
and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins_inactive

Gr,
JHP

Sadly I too have the ‘Video Engine has stopped working’ problem. When I looked at the Video Engine.dll it was selecting Windows Media Player, would this have anything to do with the problem? I’m just guessing.
Linus :confused:

I’m getting this in Cubase 5.5.3 (5.1.1 is fine). Renaming my 3rd party plugin folders, such that they’re bypassed, doesn’t fix the problem. 5.5.3 was working for me at one point and then adding in a UAD card (and moving my video card to another slot) seemed to induce the bug. I’d really like to go back to 5.5.3 since I like some of the changes and because I’m hoping it will fix a problem where doing a simple pitch shift on wav audio causes an error occasionally (preventing me from pitch shifting).

Sean

May not work for all of you but, unless you know your vid cards are clean, I’d give them a quick blast to make sure dust is not overheating the GPU by slowing the fan or clogging cooling fins. I’ve seen a couple of hairy ones. (ooh missus!)