Video Playback Problems (Freezing) - Cubase 8 Pro

I’ve just upgraded to Cubase 8 pro from Cubase 5 in an attempt to solve this issue, but to no avail.

I’m experiencing freezing during playback when using the video player. I can import the video file and open the player without issue. I get playback for anywhere between 5 and 30 seconds then everything (both video and interface) will freeze completely for 5-10 seconds, then un-freeze at a point further along in the project as if it has been playing behind the scenes.

I’ve updated my graphics drivers (dual Nvidia Quadro FX1700) and my sound card drivers (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium).

I’ve also tried a large array of video formats including H264, MJPEG, MOV, AVI (Uncompressed and Compressed). All produce exactly the same result.

I’m running Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core 2 Quad, 16gb RAM and i’m running the project and assets from an external drive. Cubase works flawlessly when video is omitted.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

I’ve found a solution;

Open Nvidia Control Panel and select ‘Manage 3D Settings’. Select global preset ‘3D App - Video Editing’ and click Apply. This needs to be done BEFORE starting Cubase.

If you are experiencing a black screen/hang when launching the video player within Cubase you likely need to update your graphics drivers.

This fix works on the above system (dual Nvidia Quadro FX1700) with Cubase 5, although I was having an identical issue with Cubase 8 and suspect it might also work there…

I very much hope that this helps someone out!