View VSTis in the mixer

Is it possible to view the VSTis used in instrument tracks in the mixer?
It would be useful to alt-drag copy them for example.

AFAIK, the only way to see a VSTi (via its UI window) in the MixConsole is to hold the left button mouse down for one or two second(s) on the ‘e’ button of the involved channel. This is where I regret that either track type icons and/or track pictures as in the arrange window aren’t available in the MixConsole (they were in the past, until Cubase 6.5) .
The result is that all the tracks seem more or less the same, at first glance, which doesn’t help the workflow, especially when you are dealing with few dozens tracks and different types of track for the same instrument (MIDI + VST…).
And an alt-drag kind of feature isn’t possible as obviously, VSTis aren’t managed as inserts in Cubase, contrarily to Reaper, in example. Actually, I prefer the way the former manage them…

You can do it on the channel strip itself… doesn’t affect the instrument itself, but the audio processing afterwards

You can use track colours…

Indeed, but it’s not what @mrwhites was looking for…

Yep, and this is what I’m doing since countless years. Still, I think that C6.5 mixer was better on this aspect : we were instantly knowing what kind of channel we were dealing with.

you can use colours on the faders itself for this…

Not the same thing : recognizable icons will always be better, IMO. I think that the related implementation of all this in the arrange window is the right way to do it (it has been kept for a reason…). From which, and since several years, I’m still wondering why the track type icon has been droped with the MixConsole implementation…

I know that it is not the same thing…
I don’t need the icons in the mix console… coloured fader caps is doing it for me…
just a matter of taste…

Yes, I guess that it’s indeed a matter of taste. To each his own… :slightly_smiling_face: