Viewing Dorico Pro files as with Dorico SE

Hello, I’ve just upgraded to Dorico 3.5 Pro. As a music school director I’ve decided that our music students will be working on Dorico SE from their homes. They will mainly be working on documents previously created with Dorico Pro individually sent to each of them.
I’m here to ask how to eventually open a document in Dorico Pro as if it was opened by Dorico SE, for checking how the students would visualise them. In other words, is it possible to open Dorico Pro with only the Dorico SE functionalities available?

Thank you

Dorico SE is the same program as Dorico Pro. It just restricts certain features. Dorico SE will display Dorico Pro files exactly as those files display in Dorico Pro. The biggest restriction here is that if your projects contain more than two players Dorico SE will open them as read-only: your students would be able to view, playback and print but not edit.

Oh, and if you want to check for yourself, you can hold the Alt key while starting Dorico to launch Dorico Elements, and hold Command (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) to launch Dorico SE.

If you want to open your Dorico Pro as Dorico SE to check for yourself, hold down Ctrl (Windows) or Cmd (macOS) immediately after starting up the programme. You can also do the same with Alt (Windows) or Opt (macOS) to open as Dorico Elements.

(Edit: sorry Leo! you must have edited your comment as I added this)

2 Likes

Thank you all, so much!

Has this been lost in Dorico 4, or am I just a victim of my own lousy timing holding down the modifier key(s)? I used to be able to make it work, even if it were a bit fussy even then.

It is still possible in Dorico 4 (version 4.0.10 and later), but yes, it is a bit tricky timing-wise.

1 Like

I tried to hold ctrl while opening Dorico 5 and it looks like the pro version, am I missing something?

I think you have to press the key immediately after the program starts to launch.

I’ve tried both pressing ctrl while double-clicking the Dorico icon and pressing ctrl after the program starts to launch and both don’t seem to work. I still have the fetures of the pro version.

The timing of this is very tricky. Some days I can get it to work and other days not. :man_shrugging:

For SE hold ctrl-alt before loading (not just ctrl)