Virtual Analog Tape Machine's

VTM is good but nothing “touch” UAD Studer & Ampex

Split: very Interesting----and the ability to record different drum sections
at different tape speeds - 30ips, 71/2 ips etc.— with kick- Room - Overheads.
Hmmmmmm ----- Wonder how this sounds with Bass :question:

Jack :smiley: :smiley:

Beware of those with fixed standards or with statements of what is best. This is the most limiting box we can put ourselves into.

Back a while ago when I still gigged, the bass player had a friend that swore by a lot of things audio. He said to me after recording one of our gigs with a video recorder that the quality of his 2track using the internal mics of his video recorder surpassed so many things and that the algo of the internal compression was the best thing on earth. Being an engineer, I had to hear it and didn’t feel the same but this guy would die by his statement. A lot of guys, I presume, by their comments on gear slutz are full of crap and throwing up what someone else said because internally they are weak. I know that may seem harsh, but I really feel it is the case because a lot of people have links to their studios and the gear they are commenting on isn’t included on their gear list and some of their comments are b.s. A lot of people weak in their technique repeat what someone else said. It is a ego battle to be completely honest. It makes them feel like somebody special when none of us really are in the grand sceme of things.

Anyway, if I was you, I would focus on refining recording techniques with the gear I had, tell this dude you rented a ssl preamp to record it and he will drool all over it I think. I betcha he wouldn’t have a clue what a Ssl sounded like. Record something a million ways and compare the differences. Build your hearing skills. The better recording you have the better it will sound with less corrective processing. I can’t say this enough. People should stop asking how to record something and just do it a number of ways to see what actually works and put together why with the theory and science of sound.

Today I could make great recordings using a piece of crud mic, preamp and converter because I spent a lot of time recording the same instrument with the same mic a million times and I taught myself to hear the differences and their relation to mic placement. All gear has limitations and if you know what they are, the better you can work around them from the start creating great recordings where the listener is engaged without even a care if it was recorded through a tape machine or some 16bit sound blaster with a Skype microphone.mthen, would I insert a tape plugin to make it sound “better”, I think anyone that knows me would answer “fu_k_ no” lol

Dissertation over lol, and no disrespect to your friend. I only know a few sentences about him.

I will Now crawl into my hole :laughing: even before I had a good selection of outboard, I never used magneto or psp vintage warmer… Maybe it is a generational thing because tape sims weren’t around back then.

[

Woodcrest: My friend attended way to many Grateful Dead Concerts- His dislike
of Digital just kills me. It’s Vinyal this, Tape that – But on top of this he’s never
owned a Tube Guitar Amp ever it’s always been Transistor Guitar amps. These people
need to be slowly coached over. I’m trying----- :wink:

Does Cubase 7 come with an Analog Virtual Tape Machine ? :question:
I ordered the Slate VTM but there Back ordered

Yes, there seems to be one in the mixer channel strip.

Cool ---- I’ll have to do some research on Cubase 7 :slight_smile:

:sunglasses: