"Virtual Girl" music & video

Latest music and & video production for one of my old clients - Craig Hallen

http://youtu.be/dhIgvjonsEk

Music
Guitars, programming, production & mix - Sherz
Drums Jamstix3 and Steve Slate Drums 4
Keyboards, bass & Vocals - Craig Hallen

Video
Filmed in my garage in front of a green screen, with my Nikon DSLR (rendered to 1280x720) making extensive use of free video backs. “Virtual Girl” played by the very pretty Mel Jacks and edited with Sony Vegas.

:sunglasses:

Kudo’s for the production, sound and image, very nice.
I like the song, the vocalist not so much. The vocallines lack a nice flow and rythm. The chorus tends to feel better though but the verses are a bit like stumbling with words…Maybe the singer has not found the sweetspot yet I don’t know.

Greetz Dylan.

Nice, good work there Ian. Mix and video are great. Like Dylan I don’t really care for the singer for some reason. The song is quite good and the lyrics are fine too. To be honest it sounds better if I’m not watching him sing. I hope he’s not reading this :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds you are not only want to experiment with the video :mrgreen:

I like this, Ian.
Call me crazy, but the vocal has a Bee Gees feel to it beginning at 2:09, especially after the tasty guitar solo- “sitting in a cafe”.

This is very well done.

Great production, Ian! Simply marvelous.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I won’t disagree with comments regarding vocal etc, and while as producer I can make suggestions etc, at the end of the day - the paying customer calls the shots! :wink:

Oh and yes, Steve the girl is real - she was ‘employed’ specifically for this project. She played the part rather well I thought… :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, Nice work, Ian.
I agree that the vocal is kinda stiff, and I’d add that the overly simplistic lyric adds to that feeling.
I’d suggest he stay simple on the chorus but I think it’d help to write more thoughtful, artful verses.

Everything sounds and looks very well done on your end, Ian. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Lenny

Pile on the the singer
virtual has 3 syllables, none of which are veer tool.

You’re too late! :laughing:

Cheers Lenny, I know what you mean. I’ll have to decide whether to pass any of this feedback on! I don’t really want to lose a client! :laughing:

Though, my professional producer friend was a LOT harsher than you guys with his thoughts about this song. :astonished: I’ll definitely keep those comments private. :laughing:

Maybe a Kiwi accent thing? Sounds ok to me :smiley:

Singer is not the most exciting focal point, but I bet he’s the one paying! The fake keyboard playing is truly lame and distracting. None to easy to fake I guess.

Has he got any hair under that hat? :laughing:

Love the video composition however, and the backing trax/production.

Well done Ian. (as usual) :sunglasses:

:smiley: Well, there’s no denying that hot girls attract attention - far more so than jaded, middle-aged cynics such as myself! :laughing: I didn’t actually ‘employ’ her myself - she was an acquaintance of Craig’s - he paid her with a bottle of wine and presumably the promise of Youtube fame. A good strategic move on his part though - including a pretty girl. Its a tried, tested and proven lure for gullible guys. :wink:

I think he was actually playing for real. He played along with the music track while we filmed so it may just be that his sync with the video wasn’t always spot on.

Oh and I was also asked to render a version that doesn’t feature him. This is apparently to be used as a huge backdrop when he performs this live… :open_mouth: Hmmm…

Anyway, thanks for the kind words on production etc. :sunglasses:
I think next video I’ll use more live footage - while green screen is fun to play around with its actually a lot of work!

I figured it might be that, its a lot of work to cut so it is best avoided… however, he was an overall distraction from the sweet female… :laughing: so a version with just her should be “leadked” for our “evaluation” :wink: :smiley:

I suspect that might cost more than just a mere bottle of wine… :wink:

Open a kickstarter fund :smiley:

+1! :sunglasses:

Ok guys… time to take a cold shower! :laughing:

Compliments for the production! Awesome technique!

Not so much on the singer. His timing is very bad, I don’t like his voice or his dancing or his keyboard performing or the way he looks. I suspect I may not be the only one thinking so.

Besides: I wonder if we should at some point make a list to find out how many songs have dealt with the

“She’s just a [insert adjective here] girl in a [insert the same adjective here] world.”

theme.

Quite a few come to my mind. “big big”, “cosmic”, any others?

Not so much on the singer. His timing is very bad, I don’t like his voice or his dancing or his keyboard performing or the way he looks. I suspect I may not be the only one thinking so.

No comment. The customer is always right :wink:

Besides: I wonder if we should at some point make a list to find out how many songs have dealt with the

“She’s just a [insert adjective here] girl in a [insert the same adjective here] world.”

theme.

Quite a few come to my mind. “big big”, “cosmic”, any others?

actually - I’ve never heard of 'big big" OR ‘cosmic’ :laughing: