Vocals - learning with Cubase

Probably one of the things that takes most time (after drums :laughing: ) is getting vocals down on a track. I know that there is probably no more harsher critic than a singer judging there own vocal recording. I think thatā€™s where collaboration really pays.

I am full of admiration for anyone that actually wants to sing, itā€™s kind of like baring your soul.

Iā€™m wanting to do more takes. Not just ā€˜betterā€™ but Iā€™m able to listen, reconsider & ā€˜craftā€™ out a vocalā€¦

Yeah, thatā€™s pretty much the process I go through with new stuff. The early takes are really just ā€˜sketchesā€™. The other thing that Iā€™ve found that helps a lot with shaping and crafting a vocal is singing live! :astonished: Oh, and a third thing that can really help a vocal come to life is alcohol! :laughing:

This is true with any instrument. The more comfortable you are, the easier it is to think, ā€œIā€™ll do it xxx way on the next passā€. In fact you donā€™t even truly think about it, you just reach in the lick bag for another flavor. The more vox you do, the more youā€™ll add to your lick bag.

I think lick bag is my new favorite saying. :smiling_imp:

I think this must be one of the most serious comments I have ever read from you. You MUST be a closet singer! :mrgreen:

And the closet is where it will stay :laughing:

Clarity in the mindā€™s eye is absolute. :wink:

Wrist lock, fist pump!

Well, THATā€™S bloody inconvenient! :laughing:
Beers, bars and gigs kinda go hand in handā€¦ :sunglasses: Mind you, singing in that live context nobody would probably notice or care if the singer is sharp anyway :laughing: My main point about singing live though, in whatever context is it does help build confidence and contribute to feeling less conspicuous about:

:sunglasses: