Vocals

No, don’t record with inserts! Unless they are in the analog domain, that is (an analog compressor or EQ for instance). Whichever domain, it can’t be undone, while inserting for playback can be freely played with.

TY for your response Arjan P.

So the inserts should be added only after the audio has been recorded?

I currently record from [mic > preamp > compressor > soundcard > Cubase] with no effects in the insert effects…

Is this correct?

While some folks do record with compressors, I would recommend avoiding it - especially if you really don’t understand the nuances of it. Whatever you record thru any insert (and that compressor after your pre is an insert effect) becomes a part of the recording and you are stuck with it forever. Compressors can add some nasty artifacts like sibilance which makes a vocal sound real ugly. They can also change the sound in other more subtle ways that might sound fine with the vocal soloed, but make it hard to fit into the mix. Back in the analog tape days it was more common to record with a compressor in the signal chain. But that was to deal with dynamic range limitations related to tape. With DAWs, there is so much headroom you don’t need to worry about that stuff.

The cleaner the signal path between your sound source and Cubase, the better. As a general rule, it is best to avoid all signal processing during tracking and do it during mixing instead. Although using sends for reverbs and such is fine, especially when listening to a playback for overdubs.

There is no right or wrong, but I use the same method and always use some amount of compression during vocal recording - simply because I like the sound of my TL Audio C5021, and it tames the levels in a nicer way than digital compression after the fact. I do understand raino’s standpoint - and I said it myself; don’t record with inserts - but the other side of the coin is simply this: Everything that sounds great during recording is less work during mixing.

Digital inserts during recording however have no advantages, only disadvantages - can’t be undone, and you’re already in the digital domain anyway.

Thanks Guys!

Your explanations cleared up alot of misunderstanding on my part :sunglasses:

Wow! I thought I’m the only one in this planet, who likes C5021.

Heh heh, nope, you’re not alone! I also see you have the Focusrite Voicemaster - another thing we have in common :sunglasses: