Voice Color oddity in score

EDIT: oops, forgot to link to the Facebook post on the same topic:

There’s something strange going on in this score.

All of my “upstem voice 1” material shows as a light blue… except for my two bassoons.

When I click on any note from the bassoon, it DOES indicate that the notes are upstem voice 1, but the color isn’t the same as all of the other instruments.

I realized while editing this score that I had accidentally put my bassoons in downstem voice 1, and so changed them to the default upstem voice 1.

I don’t even know why there WAS a 2nd voice in my bassoon parts, since they each have their own staff, and get condensed later.

Have you closed and re-opened this project since changing the bassoon notes to upstem voice 1?

1 Like

yeah, I did that last night, and when I re-opened it this morning the colours were still odd.

I notice that the colour seems to be that of cross-staff notes? but bassoon parts, each on an individual staff… how could I have done cross staff notes?

or is this when I enter notes on two staves at once?

Can you share the project, or a cut-down version that demonstrates the issue?

1 Like

I’ve noticed something else.
this is a work I started in version 3.5, so it’s survived a couple of Dorico updates.

I suspect some sort of glitch slipped its way into this file.
Here and there, again only in the bassoon parts, I see an extra voice with no notes but triplets and rests.
And trills have suddenly become non-playing (trills in other instruments work fine.)

If you would like help resolving or investigating these oddities, please share a project file.

1 Like

There’s no specific meaning behind the colours chosen for the voices, so on one level there’s nothing to worry about. It’s true that Dorico does assign colours to voices by index on each staff of each instrument in a deterministic fashion, but those colours don’t carry any actual meaning. Provided there’s only a single voice on a single-staff instrument, you would normally expect the voice colour to be the familiar light-ish blue. It suggests to me that you do in fact have some material in another voice on those instruments.

But, as Lillie says, without being able to see the project itself, we can’t say for sure what might be going on.

1 Like

here’s the file.
I couldn’t find anything in another voice. maybe I overlooked something somewhere.
opus_50_Viola_Concerto_complete_June_2024.dorico (3.2 MB)

For some reason, the rests in b19-20 for Bassoon 1, at least, are in the down-stem voice. If you do any filtering or voice changing actions on that staff, you’ll see Down-stem voice 1 comes up as an option, meaning it’s active somewhere for that instrument.

I found b19-20 by select the whole Bassoon 1 part, and filtering for down-stem voice 1, by the way.

1. In the score, in galley view, select the rests in b1 for both bassoon staves.
  2. Do Edit > Select to End of Flow*
  3. Change Voice > Up-stem Voice 1
  4. Save, close, re-open the project

Result: everything on the bassoon staves is now in the up-stem voice, and blue.

• You might want to be even more selective, and filter for notes/rests first, just to make sure you’re not affecting anything else, but I don’t think this should risk disrupting other notations on the staff.

There are indeed two voices in the bassoon instruments. The rests in the first 14 bars, for example, are all still in down-stem voice 1. You might well find that switching to galley view, selecting the initial bar rests in both the Basson 1 and 2 staves, then using Select to End of Flow to select everything on the staff, then right-clicking and choosing Voice > Change Voice > Up-stem Voice 1, then saving, closing and reopening the project will straighten it out.

1 Like

Heh, great minds think alike, eh, Lillie? :smiley:

5 Likes

The important thing is: I got my comment in first :wink:

7 Likes

YES! That did it!

And Lillie was first :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like