Voice separation in Dorico is a bit unclear

Again, coming from developing Sibelius, do you really think Dorico’s development team would have made a bold decision to drift away from Voices 1-4 without jolly good reasons?

Perhaps I need to be more direct and more explicit than in my initial reply in this thread: we will not be changing the way in which voices are identified in Dorico, nor adding any options for alternative approaches, in the foreseeable future.

Well, I can’t force anyone to do changes. Just sharing my experience. :slight_smile:
Leo, I know that the team is coming from Sibelius… :slight_smile: The Voice numbering there is limited to 4, which is not enough, especially if you are working with VST libraries.

Best regards,
Thurisaz

I was troubled when I first heard that Dorico equates the term “voice” with stemming, so that a “Dorico voice” could consist of a whole chord. I think that a different term would be better: Finale’s “layers” is a good one or maybe “planes”, since this has nothing to do with strict musical voices, which are single tones at a time, and everything to do with computer engraving and stem direction, which deserves its own terminology.

So I think you are right, Thuriasz, one should be able to label real contrapuntal voices with numbers as one sees fit, as an additional feature, in case this is not already possible. And I personally would prefer that Dorico stop using the term “voice” incorrectly because is is so confusing to students and others.