voice starting with whole measure rests, centered?

How would I achieve a voice starting with whole measure rests CENTERED?

See attachment: I managed to input whole rests, but they are aligned with the left note of the other voice instead of being centered between barlines …
Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-20 um 17.48.26.png

Still trying to write a polyphonic setting with some voices starting as rests. In the meantime I managed to get this:

So the first rest in the upper voice starts the voice, and subsequent whole measure rests appear centered as expected. But I don’t find a way to do the same for the very first on - any hints?

Can you cheat? Insert an empty bar after bar 1, copy your existing bar 1 into it, which hopefully will give you a whole bar rest in the new bar 2, and then remove bar 1.

(Shift-B +1 and shift-B -1 will let you add and remove bars. But I’m not sure this will work anyway!)

What chichestermusicpress said nearly works …

Create an extra bar at the start with a note in every voice. Then enter the music starting in bar 2, up to the point where there is a “real” note in every voice.

Now, you have to “lock” the bar rests, so they don’t disappear when you delete the first bar. Select all the bar rests (Ctrl-click each one), open the properties panel (Ctrl-8), and switch on “Force position and duration”. The panel will suddenly change to a different one, but don’t panic about that.

Finally, copy the music from bar 2 onwards into bar 1 onwards. You can delete bar 1 with Shift-B -1, but that will probably delete the time signature and all the barlines in your score as well - probably not what you want!

With luck, there will be a better way to do this in some future version…

Yes I was nearly there (starting a bar with placeholder “voice starters”), just did not think of the “Force position and duration” option. So this works - thanks!

Next: trying to start TWO voices with centered rests only, like here:

In Write / Engraving Options, the Rests panel, try “Show every rest in each voice”. The default setting is “show only one rest”.

You can move rests vertically using “Rest pos.” in the control panel.

If there are two rests (or notes) on top of each other and you click to select them, Dorico will select both of them. But if you select a different note or rest in the same voice and then use the left/right arrow keys, you can select the one that you want.

Great! thanks …