Voices

I can’t seem to figure out how to get these examples from Schumann’s Dichterliebe to notate correctly.

No matter what I do, I can’t seem to get notes to use concentric note heads or notes in different voices to use the same stem.
Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 4.02.40 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 4.10.25 pm.png

To allow dotted and undotted notes to be superimposed, go to the Voices page of Notation Options, scroll right to the bottom, and you’ll find the relevant option, which will resolve your “concentric” noteheads case (I’ve never heard this situation described that way before!).

I would suggest the use of three voices to notate the other example. You can see how I have done it in the attached project. Use View > Note Colors > Voice Colors to see which notes are in which voices. You can tie notes in different voices together by selecting them after input and hitting T. You shouldn’t need to do anything else to ensure that e.g. the eighth notes are offset from the half notes, provided the voices are set up appropriately.
dichterliebe-exx.dorico.zip (537 KB)

Thanks for the rapid reply. Being able to tie notes in different voices is a great feature. I had entered the notes easily, but the ties threw me. Definitely an improvement over other programs.

I’m not sure why you would find “concentric” odd. Two circles having the same center seems reasonably accurate to me. I wasn’t aware there was a formal term for it :wink:

I didn’t say I found the term odd, I said that I’d never heard this situation described that way before!

In geometry or engineering, “two concentric circles” usually means “two circles with different sizes”, which is not what you meant.

Also, to be extremely picky about it, they’re not circles, but elipses. And an elipse has two loci (not centers). So I guess we could coin the word ‘conlocic’?

Conlocic sounds some some scary old health condition my mom would have given me awful tasting medicine to fix.