Volume Automation like Pro Tools?

i will type it out over the weekend if i get time, i’m still testing it; there are some ‘missed hits’ from time to time (the automation event / dot is created a couple samples away from the exact intended spot), so i am trying to decipher the erratic behaviour. i suspect it may be the notorious “cubase macro executing one command earlier than it should” issue. i will try to add some dummy commands to slow the macro down. maybe there’s another problem though. in any case, as it is, the macro will work maybe 9/10 cases, and in the one case it will create the 4 points, but then only select one of the two inner nodes… bear with me…

You are going beyond the call of duty, but I suspect many people will benefit from your solution, even if imperfect.

Thanks again for your work and consideration.

Something I’ve found works really well in instances where I’ve dramatically altered the volume of a segment and it then causes a pop (which even the so-called snap to zero crossing tool doesn’t solve), is to slightly overlap the segments and use the auto-crossfade tool (should be x by default) to ‘join’ the parts together.

Another, slightly more crude fix for when you absolutely cannot get rid of a pop, is the pop removal tool in cool edit (adobe audition now? Showing my age!), this tool is insane… I’ve removed pops and crackles that other programs or vsts simply could not tackle without degrading the audio. Just set the view mode to spectral, look for the bright white lines, select one, then choose ‘fill single click’ from the pop removal menu.

Yeah this is what I do all the time not just for sibilance but other one-off volume issues. It is quick, easy, and provides lots of control over the end result.

One good trick when dealing with sibilance at the start of a word is to cut the track a little bit in front of where the sibilance occurs. Then instead of lowering the volume, drag the fade-in handle on the clip to change the attack section of the audio, lowering the volume of only the very start of the offending sound. This technique also works well on unwanted plosive and pop sounds.

alrighty, posted here: http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=38182

You are the man lukasbrooklyn. A million thanks!

no worries. it’s working really well here, but an in-built implementation would still be handy, the macros are always prone to some weird errors.

Agreed. C’mon Steinberg! :smiley:

this

yeah, and you can even assign kc’s to ‘increment event volume’ and ‘decrement event volume’. this is fine when not much critical processing is going on on the inserts on the respective channel. other times though you want to edit the sound post the first 6 insert slots, as that produces different sonic results.

also with trim you can adjust the automation curve of any plugin really, that would actually be its main goal.