VSL and 1.0.30

fratveno!,
Thanks for the help. I did what you pointed out exactly and everything worked (I added ten players of woodwinds). Even after inserting the Cubase expression maps for VEPro instruments, everything was ok!
But then, after adding a next instrument in VEPro (violin) on midichannel 11 and trying to connect a new instrument in Dorico, there is no connection. Strange enough when changing a working instrument in dorico to channel 11 the VEPro instrument does react on midi. You don’t hear the audio though, while the VI on channel 11 gives VU and the track goes to the same output as the others.
It looks like you first have to set up everything in Halion before switching to VEPro to let dorico make the right midi/audio connections
Is it possible to work with several Midi Ports also? In Nuendo you can choose the Ports per track. That is not possible in Dorico I guess. More instances or Event input?

Fratveno :
How do you use CC11 in Dorico ?

Best

Cyril

When adding more instruments, Dorico will not assign the endpoint (VST) and Midi Channel automatically, so you have to click the small arrow all the way to the left in Play mode, open the instrument/player pane, and set the VST and Midi Channel manually.

The VSL Event input works, so you can route more than 16 channels to the same instance on the server. Although I haven’t tried it myself, I’m sure you can also add further VEP banks and connect those to their own instance on the server.

In the middle of the Expression Map dialog there is a pane named Volume Dynamic. You click the button labeled Control Change and enter 11 in the text box. You have to do that for every playing technique in all Expression maps you use for VSL.

You don’t HAVE to use CC11, but then you HAVE to modify the settings in the Vienna Instruments player.

It’s pretty easy to do a global find and replace for the Volume Dynamic.

In Play mode go to expression map setup:

Import the Cubase expression map
Export that as a Dorico Library file
edit the Dorico file:
Find and replace all entries that match “param1>0<” with “param1>11<”
Find and replace all entries that match “kNoteVelocity” with “kCC”
Import the edited Dorico Library file in Play mode

That’s a handy solution, for sure! (It may be worth reminding folks that those Cubase expression maps are for VSL Special editions only, and not readily usable for those into the full libraries, without modification.)

I’m finding the full library expression maps are OK. Granted I haven’t done a lot of things yet, but not sure where you are seeing problems. Are you opening the correct presets?

I’m sure you are right about that. I’m only using custom matrices myself, and hence only custom Xmaps… I see now that some are available for some of the full libraries as well.

The problems I noticed when I checked out the SE ones some time ago, were that when imported into Dorico there were several duplicates of the same techniques, which I assumed were a result of parameters potentially useful in Cubase, but not applicable to Dorico. Those duplicates caused erronous behavior in my tests, and the cleanup work seemed to take more time than writing them from scratch.

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out for that kind of issue.

I just looked through the full library woodwinds and brass expression map and there are a bunch of duplicate items but they all have the same parameters except for CC1 which is either 0 or 127. But none of the presets (at least the ones I checked) use that controller. So unless Dorico has a problem with duplicates, as long as it picks one then things should work OK, as has been my limited experience so far.

CC1 is often used in the VSL presets for vertical matrix switch. But in the presets associated with the expression maps, speed control is used for the vertical switch.

fratveno,
I’m aware of the fact that adding more instruments require to set the VST and Midi channel manualy in the instrument/player pane. The point is that when doing so Dorico will still not asign it properly. Only when applying the default playback template (Halion) and than changing to VEPro again makes things work. And even then sometimes the audio output of some channels don’t reach Dorico while they give VU activity and are definitely routed correctly.
I think there are some fixes yet to be done here.
Do you know how to use VE Event Input in Dorico? You can choose it in the VST Instrument pane but how do you choose these 16 channels in VEPro? Midi Ports are something else, I suppose.
I’ll try and experiment more for a while, but when I want to concentrate on the score I’m afraid I have to work with Halion for the time being.

You connect the event input to the same VEP instance and select which of the 16 VEP MIDI banks you want to use.

Otherwise I’m not experiencing your problem…are you on Mac?

Sorry, I just managed to use event input; when you choose a midi port in the plugin you open a midi port with 16 new channels.
It works. I’m on a PC, but the software is the same I think. Now I hear the instrument when inputting in Dorico, not when playing back. Changing to first midi port - then it plays back also. It’s a mistery…

When things get mysterious, it has often helped to restart D. and reopen the file…

Also, ensure that you are routing the event input to a different bank in the Vep server. The main connection uses vep bank 1, so the event input must be routed to bank 2+… set in the event input connect dialog.

Yes, I did.
I write down what I do now: I restart D. (VEPro is still loaded with instruments) - New empty project - Add solo player (Flute) - D. loads Halion Sonic + Flute Combi on channel 1. - Change VST instrument to VEPro - Connect plugin to instance in VEPro - This works perfectly.
Then I add a second solo player (Piccolo) - I set the VST and midi channel manually in the instrument pane. - There is no midi arriving at the concerning channel in VEPro. I really can’t figure out why.

Thanks for the trouble

I look at it tomorrow again, are you on Vep5 or 6?

There’s one step you have to do, which I forgot to mention… (having done it so many times, it’s probably already become second nature - not an excuse, just an explanation :slight_smile: ) When you have added the new instrument(s), go to the Play menu and select Load Sounds for Unassigned Instruments. This will load another instance of Halion, but you can then change it to VSL and it will work. So, your suspicion that Halion needs to be loaded first at all times is basically correct. I think this wil change in the future.

Hi,
I finally managed to make instruments connect to VEPro one by one. Before Load Sounds for Unassigned Instruments you have to be shure there is no VST set. The loaded Halion has to be ignored (no sounds or GUI loading anyway) and you can set the VST and midi channel in the instrument pane. When you don’t make any mistakes things work. Haleluja.
I’m on Vep6. Next thing is trying to add more instruments, use Event Input when exceding 16 channels, add expression maps, etc. To do this for every new project is a bit cumbersome though.

Thanks anyway

the load sounds… procedure works for me regardless … maar so lang dat het werkt zijn we allemaal blij :slight_smile:

BTW, you can select your Expression maps on the left, and export those in a library, then reload that library in other projects…

OK, so you can export all your Expression maps at the same time…

Unfortunately I discovered that when using VSL percussion expressionmaps, monitoring and inputting notes do sound but playback doesn’t, when removing the Expressionmap (default) playback works again…