VSL protection using Steinberg eLicenser - To Daniel

Now let’s wait that VSL and Steinberg speak together to find a solution and see if VSL suppress the 50 % clause.

What I know is that VSL lost a lot of money with the old version of there library called “The Cube”, this because the protection was cracked.
If Steinberg does not propose a way to find out if a dongle is lost or stolen or broken, the reaction of VSL is half under-stable

If they were to implement ZDT then their library wouldn’t be cracked as a result of that. It’s up to them to do it, not Steinberg.

Sorry but there’s no reason to speak about this subject - because this has been done in the past. Also, I am not the right person to contact for those business decisions. Steinberg does not set any rules for partners who want to use our technology. It’s as simple as that.

Hello Ed
It’s seem I did not understand you, you said :

Ed Doll wrote:
Well, any other options need to be discussed with VSL I guess. That’s the way it works for us now.

I thought Steinberg was open to give to VSL a solution so VSL could check if the dongle is lost, stolen or broken and to give to VSL users the Zero Down time !

Best

Cyril

Well, that is not a problem and we are in contact with them on broken or lost USB-eLicensers. Either they report to us or we ask customers to report to them if a VSL license is involved.

THE problem is that a robber or somebody that found a dongle can use a util he run the eLicenser

As soon as you start an application/ lib that uses the dongle, the elicenser control software is called upon. If the elicenser software is not present or fails the validation of the license, you cannot use it, hence the system cannot be worked around as you describe.

I do not know about the other software, but you can run VSL lib without been connected to Internet. So if you have a stolen dongle you can use it any time you want.

Hell Ed

This is great ! :smiley:

Can you offer VSL a solution so that they can launch, inside there software, a query on your database to see the status of all the dongles of a user ? (active, lost, stolen …)

A VSL user can have up to 100 licences :smiley:

Thanks

Best

Cyril

It’s just not a problem. A “robber” can do the same thing right now if he gets my eLicenser. But it’s way more likely that I just lose the thing and someone else throws it in the trash because they think it’s a broken USB stick.

You are right in a way, but VSL is so maniac about piracy that they will not move there policy is they are not sure 100 %

Apparently VSL did not know about the possibility that a user can declare his dongle stolen, lost …

I have send them yesterday the video in the Helpcenter of Steinberg (see in this page)

So if Steinberg offer VSL a solution so that they can launch, inside there software, a query on Steinberg database to see the status of all the dongles of a user ? (active, lost, stolen …) It will be very bad that they keep this policy to make the user pay again.

They will have no excuse to suppress those rules and offer a Zero Downtime and the only cost of a new dongle.