Vst 2 will no longer be supported, clarification

Just to clarify, does VST 2 no longer being supported mean that any VST 2 plugins will be blacklisted in the same way as 32 bit are? ie., VST2 will be unusable in Cubase 12?

1 Like

VST2 will still be supported in Cubase 12. Cubase 13/14 might not. 2 Years phase out starting. How we don’t know yet.

They don’t mention the word supported, term they use is compatibility:-

Steinberg’s host applications and plug-ins across macOS and Windows will offer VST 3 compatibility only.

So you can only presume the plan will be for them to be removed. Wouldn’t be a blacklisted, they just wouldn’t show up as there would be no option for VST2 paths.

The term “unsupported” would normally indicates that something could exist, but it wouldn’t receive any maintenance updates or formal assistance from support staff. I’m sure a lawyer checks over these statements before they’re put out, so you can read much into the deliberate terminology used - lack of support, or being “unsupported” just isn’t mentioned in any context.

The ARM/Silicon build of C12 will be a glimpse of what the future holds, so the question will soon be answered. I doubt you will get an official reply, but you never know!

1 Like

From the official statement: "As it stands, Steinberg hosts continue to offer VST 2 compatibility. But as Apple has transitioned its Mac line to Apple silicon, those Mac users will still be able to use their VST 2 plug-ins under Rosetta 2.

Moreover, within the next 24 months, Steinberg’s host applications and plug-ins across macOS and Windows will offer VST 3 compatibility only."

For Cubase 12, VST 2 plug-ins will be fully supported! The only exception being Cubase 12 running in native mode on Apple silicon-based systems. But if you have such a system, you could switch to Rosetta 2 mode to continue using those VST 2 plug-ins.

As there are other active VST 2 topics on the forum, I’ll close this one.

1 Like