VST 32/64 bit File Structure is a mess causing hang ups.

My file structure is in complete array and I’m not sure what to do other then the dreaded wipe everything clean and start over trick. I have 7.5 running fine. I installed cubase 8 and now reaktor hangs it every time. I understand that it is a 32/64 bit issue and this is where my problem lies. I have 32/64 bit vst’s everywhere and am not certain how to tackle this problem. I don’t want to create further problems with my cubase 7.5 as this is what i’m working in now.
Any advice would be great. Thanks

Hello,

we have two articles about managing 32 and 64-bit plug-ins:
https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/using-32-bit-plug-ins-on-64-bit-systems.html
https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/instructions-on-how-to-organise-32-and-64-bit-plug-ins-separately.html

In order to see where the scanned plug-ins reside, you can go to Devices → Plug-In Information.
After knowing where they are, you should be able to move the plug-ins to the desired paths.

Note that usually it is safe to move the dll files, but not the content - exceptions do exist, though.

Kind regards,

Hello, I’ve read through the 2 articles mentioned above by Fabio.

My VST paths are:

1] C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins
2] C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns
3] C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugIns
4] C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugIns
5] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2
6] C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
7] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

I have various DLL files in these folders. I wish it all could be made simpler.
I know that some manufacturers haven’t got a clue where to put the dll files.

This is an area which needs re-thinking! :bulb: !

Hi there,

I’m currently using these paths exclusively:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VSTi2 (might be replaced by a simple ‘Synth’ folder inside the path above)

I’m only running one 32-bit VSTi now, bridged via jBridge, the path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VSTi2 (the 32-bit ‘original’ - this is not scanned by Cubase, of course)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VSTi2 bridged (for the .64 file created by jBridge).

Most developers provide installers that let you choose the path, but some indeed use their own locations (but then again, you can usually move the dlls - you might need to do this with every update, though). It is possible to make it pretty clean… using just one location like for VST3 would indeed be cleaner :wink:

:sunglasses: Fair enough and a good practise to keep an eye on all your plugins :sunglasses:

The new plug in manager tells you what each VST is - so it’s never been easier to pick out and chuck your 32 bit plugs. Or at least move then to the correct 32 bit folder which you can then deselect from your CB8 64bit environment.

I find Cubase is pretty good at sorting out the best plugins to use eg: skinned VSTs. I have some 32bit plugins which utilise jBridge and some use Steinbergs eg: ARP requires jBridge and phase shifter doesn’t, both from hg sounds, both trial and error and never likely to be 64bit!? If a plugin isn’t licensed beforehand (eg: BFD also 2 & 3 do not seem to like being in the same folder), it can cause Cubase to freeze/crash, so I test with Seib VST/savihost first. Hope this helps a bit.

I can offer this suggestion, I’ve been running this way for a few years now, two custom folders. I use “C:\VST 32” and “C:\VST 64” all VSTs get installed to these folders (VST3 goes to it own folder and this is okay). I separate by manufacturer (this is optional). My 32 bit folder is not in use much anymore because I’m all 64 bit today, I should probably get rid of it.

I don’t put any VSTs in the ‘Program Files’ folder (I’m on Windows) because I’ve seen too many problems caused by not having ‘permissions’ set properly.

I never need to have Cubase (or any other DAW) search for my VSTs because I know where they are and just set the proper path to my VST folders.

Hope this may help someone.