VST Amp Rack issues.... [solved]

me, for example. :wink:

I don’t think you are doing something wrong. From the fact, that you cannot hear a difference when changing cabinets, I’m pretty sure that VST Amp Rack is missing its cabinet impulse files.

You should have these files


C:\Users$YourUserName$\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound, for Win7


Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound, for mac

Hope that helps.

Using the clean mp3 file and using AmpRack without a cab make the sound exactly like his example so I think you are spot on.

thanks for checking, Smedberg.


Thank you Andreas! Now we’re talking. These files weren’t installed automatically of some reason. But now they are and it sounds a lot better. Still prefer the Amplitube sound though, but that’s really a matter of taste. Thanks everyone for your willing to help! :smiley:

That’s impressive deduction from andreasm!

Adunion, you might think about editing your post title - perhaps removing the ‘what a joke’, or perhaps adding ‘installation error’. Certainly helps me when looking through posts for help with any of my own issues.


or you could change the title to ‘VST Amp Rack…cabinets sound all the same[solved]’, because this is what
the main symptom was.

If you want a 100% authentic amp sim, then invest in something like Amplitude or Guitar Rig.

If you are happy with a decent amp sim, that is free with the DAW, stick to Cubase.

I get good results from the amp sim/rack whatever you call it and I am happy with it, but when I want something more authentic from something I know is needed (certain head or something) I switch to another.

It does a good job imho and was a welcome addition to Cubase.

… get the real original amp! Period. No amp sim is 100% authentic. If it’s “close enough” for your purpose is another thing. In my case I find my PodXT or GT-3 “close enough” for me in 99% of cases and with the rest 1% … I just don’t bother.

title changed.

Eh no, as I said Sim, as in simulation of the real thing. No point ever hoping for a 100% accurate digital version of something.

Some real amps are gems, some are lemons.
Good simulations fall somewhere in between?
You can track guitars where you want, when you want
That’s worth something, too.
Good enough?
If you ask me, they’re perfect!!! :sunglasses:

One thing I’ve been wondering lately… there are very many excellent modelers out there. We have the AXE FX, POD HD, various VST Amp sims, and now all this craze over the Kemper Amp Profiler. All this is awesome in my eyes as it makes for convenience, and I own a Mesa Triple Rec I would never part with. However I do now own a POD HD Desktop since VST Amp Rack causes frequent crashes for me and I need a direct solution I can play late nights that won’t bother others. Anyhow, to the point… if these modeller’s keep selling so well and people buy less real amps, and this stuff is actually happening (people even use modellers live through PA’s), what happens when companies stop producing amps since business is dying? What the hell will people model then, just the “vintage” amps of times past?


dunno, and it’s crossed my mind, too :confused:
maybe the key word is “vintage” after all?
all those amps are “classics that stood the test of time yada yada …” marketing poetry.
it’s not like those amps are still being manufactured and sold, is it?
IK Multimedia didn’t model any Fender prototypes exactly.
Now, I’m guessing out of my rectum so correct me if I’m wrong :slight_smile:

We can already hear records that the guitar sounds have nothing to do with real amps, that kind of super real thing.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to thank adunion for posting this topic, and andreasm for posting the fix. It helped me find the exact same issue. But in a different scenario.

My VST Amp Rack was working fine from day one in Cubase 6 and 6.5. I upgraded to V7 last week via download purchase, installing V7 on my desktop, my old laptop, and my new laptop (all Windows based). I also updated them with the V7.0.1 patch.

The new laptop was so new that Cubase had never been loaded on it. The other two PC’s had V6.5 on them.

When I installed V7 on the new laptop, and launched it, a window popped up telling me that FCP_SMT_005_Reverence_ImpulseLibrary_01.vstsound was missing. So I found it on my desktop PC and added it to the proper folder.

However, I never got an error message regarding FCP_SMT_005_Reverence_ImpulseLibrary_03.vstsound and did not notice that file.

The VST Amp Rack worked fine on the two old PC’s, but once I got around to using the new laptop, it had had that same 70’s fuzz box sound that adunion described . This happened last night.

After a few hours of reinstalling and testing, I found this forum topic, and BANG, the fix worked. So once again, thank you adunion for posting this issue and thanks to andreasm for posting the fix!