VST Connect - Draw me a path/map of connections

The template file settings image
note: VST connections - Outputs, Group/fx & Studio are image pasted on, and of the template setup.
Cubase 8 pro & VST Connections Pro 2.0.0…

Of course this is prior to adding in inputs, audio tracks, to feed “to performer” etc…

Audio tracks added
Performer/remote cannot hear the PSR-S750 audio but can hear HALion Sonic SE (which is being controlled by the midi out of the PSR-S750.) Studio can hear the PSR-S750 Audio but Not the HALion Sonic SE.
Studio cannot hear Performer but can record Performer and hear it when it’s played back.

The “user error application” is the application of claiming user error instead of …

I do realize the result I mention here are a bit different than as I said before, though still a fail exist, but its the results I got this time. What I know I can reproduce is the direct audio into to the TB/performer channel, the rest… shrug… i.e. I do recall once removing and re-inserting the VST Cue mix plugin to get something different than before I removed it (something stopped working).

Inaccessible information and requester are now fixed… I can’t even go through windows to get access to them anymore. Only option is to shut the program down. As I said before, none of my other programs do this inaccessible handicap trick.
Not good, not productive. No excuses!

one way of testing this is to turn the monitor off, wait a moment and turn it back on, and then cause an information or requester to pop up. This does cause other programs to put their requester and dialog boxes to center screen and that is ok but VST COnnect/Cubase puts them mostly hidden and inaccessible to the upper left of the screen. How is this VST Connect issue? They are VST connect information and requester boxes,

And when I select mirror video at the studio end I expect both studio and remote ends of studio video to be mirrored not just the remote end (this being something with low proprity in correcting, I sure)

Haven’t yet had the time to see if I can get VST Connect 3 Pro to work given the changes and my current lack of time to give it…

On top of this elaborated odyssey you say that your TB mic is connected to UR44 Input 5.
In your picture the TB/Performer Input bus is still connected to UR44 1+2 despite I explained in several different ways that it’s wrong, because that is what is sent to the Performer along with the cuemix, so it comes to no surprise that he still doesn’t hear you :unamused: .
Take a deep breath and a new shot, start with an empty project and use “Create VST Connect” in the new version 3.

musicullum,

TB/Performer being directly connected to hardware input of the UR44 was never an issue. Its was the group channel failing, A mic to UR44 input 5 for talkback was weak but on the UR44 input 5 & 6 are instrument inputs. So I switched them to the PSR-S750. Up until now I never made use of input 5&6.

As I now have VST Connect Pro 3 installed and I’m not going to revert back to a version that does not work on my system.
Having never had experienced a working version and the software being new to me, well… trying to learn from something broken is not going to teach me much.

Still haven’t had the time, energy and focus to fully explore version 3, But what I can do seems to be fitting the theory of operation. A VST connect Pro group channel is created but as far as I can tell, there is nothing special about it, its just a standard group channel and nothing mentioned about it in the VST Connect Pro 3 guide.

Whether or not it is working as intended, for that I’d need to know the programmers mindset as relevant to the program. There are quite a few variable in setup. There is nobody else sitting at my system with knowledge of how its is intended to work. Written language can get lost in translation, setup pictures work better in communication.

The project/VST Pro/“Create VST Connect” does not setup a full connect. so I have to teach myself functionality of Cubase I have not used before,. Like AutoCAD, you use a reduced tool set oriented towards your goals, ability and available resources.

Now that I have something that works better…

I think I was wrong about Halicon Sonic SE reaching the performer in ver 2. I think it was just midi. Good to “know/experience” midi transfer.

As a basic signal transfer experience with ver 3. It seems I can establish two way communication in the modes expected. Again, currently lacking energy/time to focus on it right now. That’s the frustrating part for me, when I can find the time to focus on cubase, I find myself not being as creatively productive due As I intend to …so it slow moving forward.

There is written language… lost in translation. regarding Cubase documentation.

Musicullum,

Re: VST Connect Pro 3 & Cubase Pro 8 - “combo”

There are software issues/bugs. Where the source of any specific bug is, is something for the programmers to figure out.

VST Connect Pro, certainly works better than its previous version, on my system. Now the question is: Does it work well enough to do some work? Probably, but to get there it might take some bug workarounds, yet to be discovered and have its how to’s communicated.

When setting up your configuration, channels, tracks, etc. and the “combo” doesn’t work but should (if you know), save it as a template, exit out of the “combo” (shutting Cubase down), then restart cubase and load the template to see if what wasn’t working, now does… as well as what might have stopped working. Hopefully nothing that was supposed to continue working has stopped, but “not working” includes anything the combo is doing that it shouldn’t be.

Saving a Project that’s having issues and restart, might also fix…

And so it seems restarts to be a general practice in the computer industry, and more so in the music industry. Testing 1,2, 3…

Side note:
(I once had a Commodore 64 SX with a bad sound chip, but I didn’t know it, instead I believed the cool and controllable sounds I was getting out of it were intended. But upon having an unrelated repair, it was discovered the sound chip did not pass diagnostics and replaced. The cool sounds vanished.)

The VST Connect Pro 3 channel faders is one place I’ve noticed indication of software bugs. From not becoming active (fixed in alt least one case by exit and reload) to simply vanishing by nothing more than switching which interface window in VST Connect Pro 3 you are using.

From the Studio side, one thing I have yet to experience and so know. To hear, “as it is happening”, the signal the Studio is sending the remote performer to work with and the performers addition, in sync. Allowing the studio to monitor the two together. Ideally I would be able to switch between monitoring the delayed signal (performer side delay) and the non-delayed signal (studio).

This could be my lack of knowing how to set this up, or As I’ve well learned, maybe something is not working in the combo that is not helping me teach myself.

Save/Restart!!!

What a statement…yet you completely lost me again, sorry.

But that’s what you do and the system is designed for. You hear playback and monitor the Performer all in sync. If all cue sends are 0 dB and you haven’t switched them to pre-fader, you will hear pretty much what the Performer hears (admittedly, without the Performer specific effects). We used to have a loopback feature but that can be very confusing and we dropped it. The idea is that the Performer tells you what he wants to hear and you act accordingly.

You can switch between your main mix and the cuemix for the Performer in the Control Room main section, where you select the source for what you hear. You can also send for instance a CD player signal to the Performer there. Familiarize yourself with the Control Room, it’s great when you want to do more specific stuff like this.

Ok, What I have experienced suggest making initial settings and changing settings may not take immediate effect. That saving and restarting Cubase to reload what you saved puts into effect the changes made. I was trying to create a Cubase/VST connect template based on my setup but the faders in VST Connect were not becoming active (connected local LAN). Oddly enough I could add channels (non-active) to the Performer side but not see them on the studio side. So based on my experience with other Music Software (i.e. Rose Garden) where I recall an information prompt stating changes will not become active until a restart… I tried it with Cubase/VST Connect combo… And it worked. As such there is also the other side of the coin in making setting that do not take immediately but not realizing it, only to find things different when restarting (re: Cpmmodor sx64 analogy).

[quote=“3seas”]
From the Studio side, one thing I have yet to experience and so know. To hear, “as it is happening”, the signal the Studio is sending the remote performer to work with and the performers addition, in sync. Allowing the studio to monitor the two together. Ideally I would be able to switch between monitoring the delayed signal (performer side delay) and the non-delayed signal (studio).
[/quote]

But that’s what you do and the system is designed for. You hear playback and monitor the Performer all in sync. If all cue sends are 0 dB and you haven’t switched them to pre-fader, you will hear pretty much what the Performer hears (admittedly, without the Performer specific effects). We used to have a loopback feature but that can be very confusing and we dropped it. The idea is that the Performer tells you what he wants to hear and you act accordingly.

You > can > switch between your main mix and the cuemix for the Performer in the Control Room main section, where you select the source for what you hear. You can also send for instance a CD player signal to the Performer there. Familiarize yourself with the Control Room, it’s great when you want to do more specific stuff like this.

So to be clear. The loopback function provided the ability of the studio to monitor the performer in action with what the studio sends to performer all being in sync. So the Studio could immediately (within the loopback delay) know where the performer oops’d (i.e. rushing dragging cannot be determined without in sync loopback) enabling the studio to optionally stop the performer with refinement refinement feedback.

Though I understand how delays can be confusing, to continue on only to find in playback a problem requiring a redo, can be more costly than keeping delays from becoming to confusing. I know there is a lot of functionality in cubase to correct error, but it can be more time consuming than correcting errors on the get go. Option b - use the loop record and have the performer repeat segments so to later select which loop part to use…

But anyways… If I understand you correctly, in the current version 3 studio hearing performer live (delay considered) in sync with studio feed to performer is not possible?

If its not currently possible, then I’ll not waste anymore time trying to do it…:wink:

Switching to the expanded mixer in VST Connect Pro 3 editor. It did it again, vanished the faders and upon returning to the initial or main window of the editor the faders are inaccessible. Removing VST Connect Pro 3 Insert and inserting it back fixed it but then you have to reconnect with the remote.

Also, the loopback function, it needs to be put back. Maybe not for the original reason it was included, but for allowing the Studio to check on/verify what the remote is actually getting from the studio vs, what the studio thinks its sending.(as a debugging tool for the studio.) I would think this would work by sending a switch signal to the remote application “VST performer” telling it to also return what its receiving from the studio. Of course, this won’t tell the Studio the performer hasn’t got their headphones plugged in… or such, but will help pin problems down

Why do I write this? Because I just experienced it, the problem. Though I’m testing/learning on a LAN, I keep in mind issues that a non-LAN remote setup would need a way to identify to deal with and from the Studio end…

As to hearing LIVE (delay considered) the remote in sync with what the studio is sending. As there are timing signals involved for sync, Seems a delayed copy of the studio mix (for studio side monitoring) controlled by the timing signals coming back from the remote would be better as monitoring could include more and even a different mix than what the remote is getting from the studio. Allowing the studio flexibility in hearing how the live remote fits into a different or more complete work. Leaving the above mentioned “Loopback” function clearly as just a debugging/verify tool.

Of course all of this is about overcoming internet lag issues to make work closer to that of working in house (studio)
I’m still learning and maybe this is currently possible (live but remote timed delayed mix) but I don’t see that yet.

I have seen some unusual delays. ie. VST Connect Pro insert channel… I can see the remote signal coming in but there is a real noticeable delay (1 sec+) between it and the record track it’s being routed to. Is that right?

There is surface level documentation for the end users, often considered thin or confusing regarding Steinberg documents, but sometimes for an end user to really understand, its helpful to communicate deeper into the inner working of the software. Paths/maps of connections, signal flow … I wonder why the talkback/CUE volume knob in VST Connect Pro 3 editor does not seem to work and why the Performer Monitor Volume control at one time seemed to work as a volume control for delay of the performer/remote back to them (confusing indeed).

Certainly I could be doing something wrong, or there could be a software issue.
There is a word I use “Overcomplexifabulocation” I think it communicates better than the phrase “over engineered” :smiley:
Something the general software industry is quite guilty of and the Aerospace software industry strives to avoid. More levels of complexity. greater chance of fail.