VST Connect Pro 5 - a few niggles...

Thankfully, the “Get HD files” when getting mono files is fixed. (reported here: "Get HD files" keeps getting bigger, regardless. - VST Connect - Steinberg Forums )

Thanks very much.

3 things I noticed so far.

1. The Compressor, EQ, and Inserts… though they do have individual settings per channel (unlike the Reverb which is global and based on the send level per channel)… there’s still one thing that stays the same regardless of what channel you’re on: the on/off button. So, if I have a compressor setting for, say, the mic channel… and a different compressor setting for the instrument channel, if I turn one compressor off, the other one goes off too. So I have to have both compressors on… or off… I can never have just 1 on and 1 off.
    (Note: this may just be the visual representation of on/off since I didn’t check the actual processing. I was just clicking around and checking things.)

2. When doing multiple takes, the stereo file is always put into a new lane, and the stereo HD file fetched afterwards (using “Get HD files”) is too… but the mono files that are fetched are not put into separate lanes. (Not a huge deal, of course, but a bit of a pita.)

3. Just a request… the rotary knobs don’t work very smoothly. I can click on, like, the Monitor Perf button and make it easily jump from a level 3 volume, to a level 9 volume, depending on where I click… or if I just click and drag my mouse from left to right. Again it just jumps up to 9. Volume levels should increase incrementally, slowly, UNLESS I click directly on the exact area of the rotary knob where I want the volume to be, which is not the case at the moment. If I click ever so slightly to the right of the center of the knob… I mean a fraction of a hair, the volume just jumps to 9. This kind of thing is dangerous in headphones, which is pretty much 100% of what people are using to monitor when using this software.

1. you appear to be right, we’re looking for clues. In any case this should be fixed with the next update, sorry.
  2. will check
  3. rotary knobs can be very precise if you set knob mode to circular (Cubase/Nuendo->Edit/Preferences/Editing/Controls/Knob Mode). Use the mouse to “draw” a huge circle around the knob. Also ctrl/click a dial should set it to its default (some are missing this, will be fixed too).

thanks.

re number 3, changing to circular mode doesn’t change this finicky behavior. I just tried it.

My first instinct, regarding knobs in general, is to just click on them and then move my mouse… but for these knobs that creates this weird jumping problem. To avoid this, you have to click on the knob RIGHT where the volume knob is currently pointing, right on the outermost edge of that white indicator line that’s on the knob… and then draw a circle. That makes the knob behave better. But see, if you aren’t so careful and click a few millimeters closer to the center, then even the smallest mouse movement can accidentally move you from 3 to 9.

It seems to me that perhaps the knob movement should just be disabled if you click too close to the center of the knob. (or just be programmed differently for the very center, such that if you click there, you would be forced to drag vertically up or down to increment the value, rather than circularly. In other words, the circular behavior would be disabled entirely.)

Plus, I think you should also disable the ability to drag directly left to right, but instead force the user to actually draw a circle, so 3 doesn’t just suddenly become 9, but has to travel through 5 first. (Basically, the user should be forced to move his mouse up, over, and down to get from 3 to 9, not simply be able to drag directly left to right.)

Anyway, my two cents. Thanks for the good work.

You can set knob mode to linear which should do what you suggest in your 2nd paragraph.
As for “disable to not drag a circle” would require some fairly clever algorithm which we don’t have at hand :slight_smile:
I still don’t quite get what your goal is. If you click anywhere on the dial, it may jump somewhere (that may be a problem admittedly) but then you just reach out far away from the center and can tune the value in very fine increments.
Your idea to restrict jumps when clicked close to the center is a good one, but then still it is hard to decide when to start to follow your movement.

neither linear nor circular changes the behavior, it seems. My system is set to linear by default.

This is, of course, not a huge deal. Just a suggestion.

As an example, Waves plugins use a click and drag up or down to increment/decrement… OR if you want to jump, you can click on the numeric value that exists outside of the rotary knob… There’s no jumping when you click on the actual rotary knob anywhere. And left to right dragging is not allowed either. So, in this scenario there is only very intentional jumping that occurs, rather than by accident. Now, if you are committed to using the circular movement method, then I think the problem is solved by disabling the center area of the knob, forcing the user to click more toward the outside and to circle around to the other side… and this would also prevent dragging across the center of the knob. So, yeah, just disable the center of the knob.

there you go. I think we’ve both spent more time on this one than we likely wanted to. :slight_smile:
Thanks again for new version today.

as for 1.), Compressor, EQ, and Inserts on/off button: this (Jira VCON-921) will be fixed with the next update, thanks for pointing it out.

Hello creators and users of VST Connect!

I have version Pro 5 too and I am happy about the video extensions!
Performer small in the corner or big, video big, small, wonderful!

Unfortunately “Screensharing” is not yet integrated.
I think this is very important!
Up to now we have taken the way that the performer does not see my face but my Cubase.
The performer thinks this is a great idea, even though the picture is not very sharp.

But now I have asked myself, why is there a camera integration in VST Connect/Performer?

I’ll show you my way, which I tested today and which works great:

1. I deactivated the camera device in VST Connect.
  2. I started Skype and started a meeting with my Performer here.
  3. split the screen in Skype

And lo and behold, my performer has conjured my screen (in this case filled with Cubase) cleanly onto its surface, and video communication goes with it at the same time.
Ok Talkback can take place via the audio interfaces in VST Connect/Performer again, then you only need “music headphones”, the microphone is on anyway.

Of course it’s nice if you don’t have to start any extra software like Skype or similar!
But why is it so difficult to integrate screen sharing?

Anyway, until then, for all those who want to share their Cubase interface as well, this would be possible!
Have fun!

Always you can use ManyCam. With this virtual WebCam software (has a lite free version) you can share your cubase screen and another PIP screen with your real WabCam. ¡Works really well!

Hi MrTopo,

thanks, for the info!
I try ManyCam before and WITH a camera (i tested Apeman A79 - not really good resolution and with fisheye) i have a correct mirrored screen in VST Connect.
But how can i share my screen with it???

MrTopo,
i’d tested ManyCam once more, select “Desktop” and YES there is the main screen with Cubase shown in the Video screen of VST Connect.
But the resolution is bad - you can’t read any text - but ok, you can see the data blocks with audio or Midi data.

I’d tryed also OBS Studio, with a virtual Cam.
VST Connect then let me select “OBS Virtual Camera” - ok.
But the screen in VST Connect leaves green or has some pixels - no screen shown.
Doesn’t work, i don’t know why.

And normally VST Connect show always a mirrored screen, when i use a real camera or a virtual.
WHY?
i’m confused with this.

mirror: there is a setting for that (cogwheel). screenshare coming later.