VST Connect Trial License Failing at 14 days and problems

Hi, I got this message in my email - “This trial version of VST Connect Pro runs for 30 days, and offers the same functionality as the retail version.”…

I’ve had it on for 14 days and it’s telling me my trial is over - and I would buy the product but we are seriously trying to work through the bugs. Can you help?

1 - Performer does not hear mix or anything from me until I switch audio devices and then back

The Fix is to switch to the performers internal audio device and then switch back to his Focusrite or ProTools audio device (this happens with both a Mac Performer and a PC Performer). After the switch to the internal audio and back to pro audio - for some reason this fixes the problem most of the time. Took me a while to find that solution.

2 - Talkback is garbled I’m told by the performer
I have a preset template that sets everything up with the control room and talkback microphone. When I press the talkback it sounds good here when I listen to the VST Connect Cue Mix, but not at performer end (from what I’m told). I have not messed with this much because I solved it with using another track manually directed at performer with a Mic.

3 - Missing Hidden Feature I was using in VST Connect 2.x - Secret Jam Session feature unplanned by Steinberg but worked.

In VST Connect 2.x I was able to Jam with my friends by clapping together for timing marks and then either having them play first and I play along (not letting them hear me) or I play first and not hear them until after the recording was done and I would move the audio to a clap we had done in earlier part of the track. - So with VST connect 2.x we were able to put this together and Jam either way, but at my end - as the play along person it was great - I heard the Performer and myself - in Time. Problem - With VST Connect 3.x I can’t do this either way - I never hear myself exactly when I play it, it’s 1 second later or so. Even when I’m sending my audio directly to the output device. What happened? Can I fix this - so I can hear myself when directed directly out without using my audio devices zero latency monitoring feature. I want to hear my guitar rig in time and have it laid on the track alongside what my performer is playing and have the performer not hear me. Is this possible with 3.x?

Geof Sprague - Cubase owner since 1989!

Good Day… I’m hoping to get the attention of a Steinberg employee to address my main question about my trial ending at 14 days. I just have not had time to get this one project to work yet - without major issues anyway. I would sure appreciate getting the additional 2 weeks. I’m a Cubase owner Since it’s inception in 1989 - but I’m still trying the vst connect pro - I expect to buy it in 2-4 weeks but I need a trial for another 14 days… if you can help - please?

Thanks… maybe my performer can be on trial for 2 more weeks but he does not own Cubase - I have not tried that route that will probably fail anyway.

For those of you interested - Take a look at my posting "Understanding VST Connect and local audio file not found. Don’t look at it for the error - look at it for the understanding of how this feature works under the hood a bit. It covers some detail in just one posting. A few pages.

Never had this before. It doesn’t sound like a VST Connect specific problem to me. Maybe the Performer has too low a buffersize.

This too might indicate a buffersize too ambitioned. Note there are no less than 6 LEDs and 2 bargraphs which are there for analysis of possible communication and sync problems.
I had garbled sound altogether once and re-setting the audio device would fix it. This happens with other audio software as well. However this affects all of audio output, not just specific signals.

Neither version 2 nor 3 were intended to be used as jamming tools. I doubt that you could jam with version 2.
Let me re-iterate how it works (and that’s since version 1): when you chat (no transport started), it works like a telephone. It will try to keep latency low (you can set that by changing “Chat Latency” from “Auto” to some fixed milliseconds value until dropouts occur) and in that mode you may get somewhat close to beeing able to “jam”, but usually the delay is in the 100 to 200 ms range.
Then when you start the transport, it starts to play internally (but it’s not yet playing in the studio!) and sends the cuemix to the Performer, who performs and sends audio back. Then when the Studio playback becomes audible, Performers’ audio has already been buffered and plays in sync. The time between starting transport and actual playback is set by “Remote Latency” (default 1 second), which of course has to be sufficient to perform required buffering on both ends. Long story short, there is no way you could ever have been jamming once transport was started - unless you are very tolerant dealing with the delay.

I guess my questions is - In a VST Connect Pro session is there a way to direct my guitar through guitar rig and then to my speakers without getting the additional second of delay from VST connect pro. In 2.x I would direct myself to the performer and hear a second of delay, but if I sent my output to my local speaker, I had normal latency for myself. (This question will never stop me from buying this product, as I love it). I would just like the ability to plug myself in and hear myself at normal latency when VST connect is in session (without using zero latency option of my audio device). Is there any way to do this without my audio device options?

Also, can I somehow get another 14 days… It’s not like I’m not going to buy it, but it did say 30 days and only gave me 14. Thanks for listening to my questions anyway.

Regarding my Hack Jam Session…

I did Jam with my friend from Portland to Seattle. Maybe you missed that the performer did not get to hear me until after we pressed stop and I lined up the tracks with our clapping marks. I can recreate this by removing 3.x and going back to 2.x and posting a video to prove I’m doing this, but you should be able to understand how I completed this by not allowing the other player to hear me at all and by lining up the timing marks in the waveforms. Pretty straight forward I think.

What I did is make sure that neither person would hear something that was delayed. So for him, he could not hear me - so he was jamming by himself. For me, I heard him a second later and played along with him and it laid the tracks out together. When we were done I would line up our tracks with our timing marks (clapping) at beginning… This was a total hack and yes it did work. So I was able to jam with him, he only got to hear the result later. And I was able to hear myself 5-20ms after I played (standard latency). Now with version 3 when I do the same thing I can Never hear myself until the 1second latency has been added. Even when I direct my guitar to go directly out to my speakers.

The only issue is that with version 3 - when vst connect is connected, I never am allowed to hear myself without the 1 second delay.

I still don’t get you.
If you are in Cubase and have set up everything as suggested, you can do everything including recording and hearing yourself along with the Performer without any delay. The only downside is that the Performer can (more precisely, should) not hear you at the same time, which I refered to as jamming.
If you hear yourself with a delay in Cubase you have set up something wrong or you or the Performer have your speakers on. If the Performer hears you with a delay you have probably engaged the “Rehearse” button. Otherwise, set up a regular audio track, do not (yet) cue send it to the Performer, enable record and monitoring on that track just as you would normally do when recording yourself.

Sorry, we are programmers and can’t help you with support questions, pls contact support.

See above. You don’t need to clap or align or anything. Set up a regular audio track as suggested above and monitor and record yourself like always. Just make sure that your track has no cue send enabled while recording (later enable it so Performer can hear what you recorded), as that would send your signal with a long delay to the Performer.