VST Connect & VST Connect SE - Solution Thread

Hi all,

After reading all the information here I am still at a loss because I cant get VST Connect SE to work properly!

In a nutshell I can hear the artist, he can hear me, he can hear the recording when it starts, it starts to record then suddenly the recording drops out! The artist can still hear the music track and he doesn’t hear it stop the audio track just stops recording what he is playing!! I have 2 full blue bars at the top so I would appear to have good signal strength in both directions, and they never go into the red area!

My sig is below and we are both using Steinberg CI 1 interface, I have altered all the parameters I can at both ends, as instructed in the manual, we have both gone to a wired connection as opposed to wireless, but no change!! I am stumped!

Basically I have run out of options so am I missing something simple here?

And before anybody chimes in with RTFM, I already have and I have used Musiculums post on how to set up VST connect within a programme, but still didn’t get it working properly!

I am using a piece of music with 6 audio guitar parts and 2 midi parts on it as a “test” project and the artist is trying to put a drum track on the piece! I am bouncing the entire piece (audio & midi) down to one and using that as the track I am sending to the artist. As I always record in Flac format that is the file I am using, is there any reason that would cause this issue?

This is the first time I have played with this since the latest Cubase 7.06 update and I know, with other issues on this forum, one of the normal solutions is to “trash the preferences” so do I need to something like that here?

Anyway I am stumped and that is a great disappointment to me because even the SE version would be a very useful tool if I could get it to function properly!

So if anyone has any ideas or could offer any advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Jim B

just some that come to mind:

• basically all seems to be set up right. VST connect can not make a recording stop in Cubase, so there must be other reasons within Cubase that cause this to happen.
  • what exactly happens on your end: does Cubase continue to play without stutter and just punches out? If so, stupid question: are you sure to not have auto punch out activated?
  • with the very same project but not beeing connected: can you record your own mic without Cubase dropping out of recording?
  • activate the VST Performance Meter: any overloads there?
  • make sure ASIO Guard is off
  • make sure Constrain Delay Compensation is off - you probably have that anyways as it won’t work in the first place
  • if all else fails: load the VST Connect template, connect your mic, bring in your playback mix and try to record your partner: will it still fail?
    Hope that helps…

Thanks Musi,

I’m at work now but I will try all that tonight and let you know what happens!

Jim B

Hi Musi,

I went through the various check lists, sent by yourself and various other people on the forum, this evening and it was Asio guard that was the culprit!!

I have never knowingly activated this but, once I found it and deactivated it, VST connect SE runs a smooth as silk!

I tried 7 takes tonight with my drummer and each one was perfect! I am totally knocked out by this and very tempted by the PRO version!

Thanks for your help in this!!

Jim B

Hello!

A few days ago I was trying to get to work VST Connect SE, and after a few attempts I got this error:
YOU ARE ALREADY IN A SESSION. I restarted the modem, router and the computer (Mac 10.8),
but this message kept showing up.

Anyone has an idea of what to do?

Thanks for your help.

Roger

Hi Roger,

When I was experimenting with this I sometimes forgot to log out from each VST connect session before attempting a new one and I seem to remember getting a very similar message!

You may not think so at the moment, but trust me, when you get this to work you will be mighty impressed!

I’m looking forward to the 7.5 update as this programe has also been improved :smiley:

Good luck,

Jim B

Today I was trying VST Connect SE and got a message that I needed to either change my sample rate, or the sample rate of my performer as they were not matching. I changed mine because it was the easiest thing to do. But I couldn’t figure out how to change his sample rate. Is it something I can do from the VST Connect SE control panel or do I need to do it on his computer? If so, where are these settings?

He has a presonus audiobox, but he was NOT using that. He was using a Bue Yeti usb microphone (had to install ASIO4ALL in order to get it to see the VST Connect SE). But the presonus audiobox was still connected. Could this have been set to 48k? I didn’t see any 44.1k/48k settings on the ASIO4ALL control panel. Any ideas would help.

Can I get a refund on Connect Pro? If I would have been aware of the massive amount of issues I would not have purchased it today. I love Cubase and just upgraded to 7.5 but in regards to ‘Connect Pro’ …I feel like I just bought something broken.

Can you let us know what the problem is? I take you cannot connect? I have personally had several successful connections to the US (from Germany).

The Performer application tries to set the performers’ hardware to the desired sample rate via ASIO commands. Some devices cannot change the rate by software, but if you matched the Performer rate on the plugin side it should work. I have a friend with a Roland interface with a switch to set the rate and it refuses to react to software commands so I have to ask him to use the switch…so the VST Connect plugin sends its rate to the Performer application which tries to set the rate. The hardware control panel can only be brought up by your partner, it can not be remote controlled. The USB mic probably has a fixed rate that cannot be changed at all?

Thank you for your reply. I have faith it will work. I am new to the forum and engineering in general.

Dear Steinberg!

Can you please make a OPTION to disable the “VST CONNECT CUE” warning message?

It says that it need to be inserted into an audio channel. I know that thank you, and every time I open the plugin “daily” it keeps saying this message every time so I need to press “OK” to get rid of the message.

By the way…TIPS OF THE DAY! :bulb:

I don’t know if you have come up with this yet but I insert it on one of the “control rooms” “Cue-mixes” as a insert instead. Much better then audio track. :wink:
I then just press the “Mix” button on the specific “CUEMIX” in “control-room” to send the whole mix to the “VST CONNECT CUE” audio stream. Works perfect so you don’t need necessary to insert it on a “AUDIO track” as you state in the manual!

The best thing is if the plugin can recognize that its okay to insert “VST CONNECT CUE” on one of the “CUEMIX”'s in the “control room” section.
That would be even better. :wink:

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Best Regards
Freddie

only saw this now…
a) you keep saying the warning states that the VST Connect Cuemix plug should be inserted in an AUDIO channel. That’s not true, it is to be inserted into a GROUP channel where you send the cuemix (headphone monitor mix) for the Performer, using sends.
b) yes, this is exactly what the Control Room Cuemix is meant to do, but unfortunately that channel does not compensate for the delay which is needed for synchronous recording with VST Connect. That is why it must be used with the “To Performer” Group channel instead. We are working on making it work with the Control Room Mixer because that would eliminate some routing complexity but it’s a bit tricky :slight_smile:
c) for just reviewing mixes, one can indeed insert the cuemix plug in the Control Room cuemix channel or even the Master output. As said, no synchrounous recording works then but if that is not of concern because the Performer side just wants to listen to the mix, for instance, it makes sense. We’ll add an option to surpress the warning messge for such scenarios.

Thank you! :smiley:

Yes, I using it daily to reviewing projects.

Best Regards
Freddie

i keep getting ripping sounds … and drop outs non stop … even tho the other guy and i can Skype with video and do it with out a single drop out… but yet turn off Skype connect up Vst connect and theres dropouts non freaking stop in the recorded material coming in my daw…

uggg

Hello abyss!
How much up-/downstream do you have?
Did you adjust your upstream settings to that?
Have you tried to either switch off ASIO-Guard in Cubases preferences or use a higher “Remote Delay Seconds” value? Or both?
How much CPU-Usage do you see during recording (on both sides)?

Hi,

Any news on getting studiopass to work on android devices ? :slight_smile:

Someone did start something somewhere but I can’t find it now :frowning:

edit: found this
It’s not overly active but I guess it’s a start.

i know this is an older thread but … as far as 2 computers on the same network (same studio - 2 rooms lets say) … VST connect Pro will allow you to do this … it worked for me in the Demo … cheers john

maybe someone already posted this but i just could not read through 9 pages of posts …