VST Folder / Midi Devices

Hi all,

I’m wondering where I can set up my vst folder.
Also, is there a midi devices dialog?

Thanks!

Dorico picks up VST instruments from the standard locations that Cubase uses. There’s currently no dialog for setting up MIDI input devices: Dorico will for now listen to all connected MIDI devices.

That is frankly a rather useless answer for the vast majority of us who have never used Cubase.

On Mac, Dorico loads VST plug-ins from /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST3. If you have VST 2.x plug-ins, then they are loaded from /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST, if they have been added to the whitelist.

On Windows, Dorico loads plug-ins from (I think) C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins.

For this Win 7 Dorico 1.0.10 install, w/o any Cubase,

1. Whitelisted VST2 .dlls go here:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2\

2. vst2whitelist.txt for VST2 goes here:
    C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico\VSTAudioEngine\Components\

3. VST3 .dlls go here
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\

4. HALion SO .dll and its Steinberg Resource File went here:
    C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins

Good morning:

Can someone confirm whether this is still the state of the art? I am beta testing the beta VST3 version of Eastwest’s Play, and I am wondering where to copy files. For now, I copied the play_VST_x64.dll file to C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins, and it seems to work fine with Dorico.

But I also noticed a couple of other possible locations (where other VST3 dlls are located):

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Steinberg
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Steinberg\Symphonic Orchestra

I have dozens of plugins, I like to keep things organized (with a spreadsheet where everything is located) - it’s easy to forget where plugins were installed to, and that can create havoc whenever there is an update (with conflicting versions, etc.).

Thanks!

I believe the recommended location on Windows these days is C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3.

Being able to set locations for VSTs is a standard feature of all other music software. I trust it will be added to Dorico.

Having to copy the dlls every time a plugin is updated is a poor setup.

With VST3 we were stricter, in that we specified where the VST3 plug-ins need to reside. For VST2 on the other hand the spec was open, so they can be virtually anywhere, despite the Steinberg recommended location. This in turn has the consequence that the plug-in hosting application needs to have some UI for specifying additional plug-in paths.
Dorico doesn’t have this at the moment, but it is on our list.
For those daring, though, there is a workaround. You can edit the file “Vst2xPlugin Search Paths VSTAudioEngine.xml” to be found in C:/Users//AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/VSTAudioEngine_64 (Win) or /User//Library/Preferences/VSTAudioEngine (Mac). Just copy the 5 lines for “obj” and edit the strings for “Name” and “Path”. Don’t worry about the 8 digit “ID” number, leave as it is. On the next restart Dorico will search your new path. (And it’s a good idea to keep a backup copy of that file somewhere)

Can you pls clarify. If I install Dorico, will I be able to use its Halion Symphonic orchestra in Cubase Artist 9 as well?

Yes, I believe you will be able to load HSO sounds inside HALion Sonic SE in Cubase Artist 9, provided your Dorico license is available on that machine.

That is what East West told me - this is the defined path for VST3 where every program should be able to find it.

VSL always remembers and respect your chosen VST2 folder on software updates. Dimension dignity :slight_smile:

Here’s the basic information on VST3 technology.

Steinberg is the inventor of VST technology, so posting this here, feels like carrying water to the sea. :smiley:

Anyways.

Howdy-ho folks! :slight_smile:

Just purchased Cubase recently after using other DAWs for the last 15 years. I currently have a folder called VST64 on my HD; that folder contains all of my 64-bit VST plugins and instruments.

They do not show up in Cubase, obviously. Do I just copy the entire folder over to the weird Steinberg location? Or is there a better solution? Mostly I am aiming for a working solution - not a fix :slight_smile:

Cheers!

In Cubase 9, you do get under the “devices” menu a “Plug-in Manager”. Enter into its settings (tiny cog icon at the bottom left) any extra paths you want CuBase to scan for plugins.

VST3’s always go here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\ (incl. all subdirectories to your liking)

VST2’s can go pretty much anywhere, as long as path is included to be monitored in the DAW application, common locations used by vendors are

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins
C:\VSTplugins
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins

or specifically for x86
C:\Program Files x86\Common Files\VST2
C:\Program Files x86\VSTPlugins
C:\VSTplugins
C:\Program Files x86\Steinberg\VSTPlugins