VST Performance in Cubase 7.0.5

Hi Guys,
I am not sure if you guys have this issue as well, but I have notice that VST Performance meter redlines a lot even if the audio is not distorted or CPU usage is high, I have an eight core FX 8320 with 16 GB RAM. I did not notice this in cubase 6.5. is the VST Performance meter accurate.

All the youtube videos I have watched regarding Cubase 7 done by people, I see the same thing, lots of redlining ? not sure if this is just me.

Same problem here.

Same here… it doesn’t mean anything so don’t worry about it. :wink:

I guess it can be something about ASIO guard? I have that activated. No drop outs, nothing even though its going on red.

Best Regards
Freddie

The thing is, CPU cores aren’t even loaded to 50% and my plugins are using all 8 cores and I know for a fact that windows 8 scheduler (process scheduler) is very efficient when it comes to parallel processing, and I am not getting any artifacts that would indicate you have reached processing limits or simply ran out of buffer , yet the meter red-lines. I wonder how they drive that meter, I should focus on making new music with this PC, but the red-lining keeps distracting me.

In Cubase 6 and 6.5 the red light did not stay on if the ASIO load momentarily peaked, so would have been less noticeable. But since Cubase 7 it stays on. To be honest I wish it didn’t. or automatically go off after a couple of seconds maybe, because I find myself habitually clicking it off every time I notice it, just as I would with an audio red overload, though that is pointing out something useful.

Truth is though, so long as the audio doesn’t glitch or stutter, it doesn’t seem to matter. You see the red ASIO light go on in youtube tutorials.

Maybe there’s some reason behind having it stay on but for me it’s just a distraction.

I have noticed more peaking with version 7 and slightly very slightly less performance with same plugins.
Probably the new asio guard needs some optimization.

dark blue man : I do the same thing, click to turn it off…
I can record 100 Audio tracks, while playing back 3 soft synths with 6 Channels each, at 48Khz/24Bit with sustaining notes, not a single audio issue. Something is not right with this ASIO meter in Cubase 7.0.5.

Hi there,

you can not compare the old ASIO meter of Cubase 6/6.5 with the new one.

The “average load” bar shows the average all over loading. All over loading means consolidated real- time- and ASIO Guard- processes.
Average means smoothed values without performance peaks. This bar could raise to 100’% without hearing a drop- out for a short time (if the ASIO Guard buffer could absorb this short peak).

The “real-time peak” bar shows the pure real- time loading. This bar is not smoothed, it shows the true max- peaks.
This has been misunderstanding by nearly every user, because other hosts or applications are just showing a smoothed value in their performance bar (because it looks prettier than a true real- time bar).
If the “real-time peak” bar reaches 100%, you will hear a drop- out.

So, the “average load” shows a smoothed value, while the “real-time peak” shows everything that is happening in all real- time processes. Both bars compared are showing a significant better and more detailed overview.

Best regards,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Why this meter always shows red line ? When I click it, it disapear.

Hi,

the red line will stay there. This line/indicator shows only, that a real- time peak happened while playing back.

So it can occur that this stays red without any drop outs.

Cheers,

Marcus

I personally find that the red overload lights up when I press play or rewind, but not when playing has settled in. This kind of makes the indicator useless to me because it’s always on… Can it be made momentary? Or could you implement a two part light, so that there’s a momentary indication and a ‘forever held’ indication too please?

Mike.

Marcus… all the explanations are great but think of it like that :

You make music… you enjoy… then, all of a sudden, BLINK… RED

You turn it off… then it goes again, BLINK… RED

You close the program, and don’t want to make music.

It’s that simple. it’s PURE PSYCHOLOGY.
There is a meaning in our brain to the red color. it’s not just “plain” red. it designates “danger” (you can check me).
I don’t want to see it. you know what, if you guys think it’s SOOOOO important that we see it… let us decide if we want to, and when.

Just my 0.02

Hello,

do you have the ASIO Guard enabled or disabled?

With the ASIO Guard enabled, the Average meter will have a higher reading, but the Real-time meter will be lower and probably won’t peak into red.
The other way around if you disable it. The results are slightly system dependant.

It is also possible to enable the Performance Meter in the MixConsole, which will only display the Average Meter and Disk Cache.
This way you can have an overview of the ASIO load and leave the VST Performance Meter (F12) disabled.
Of course, this is not ideal if you use one monitor, but cool if you have two.

If the real-time peak lights often, maybe check the buffer size and / or DPC?

On my personal home rig, I keep the ASIO Guard disabled because my Real-time peak is almost steady and barely oscillating, but when this is not the case it might be worth a try and enable it.
I mostly use 1024 samples buffer size except when recording - in that scenario, I sometimes enable the ASIO Guard, depending on how many plug-ins I have in use.

Cheers,

It is also an option on the Transport Panel as well as on the Project window Toolbar.
So take your pick

your decision :wink:

Absolutely correct. Some (me included) might find the one in the TP small, but the one in the toolbar is identical to the MixConsole one.

I wonder if this red-light district, issue is resolved in Cubase 7.0.6? :slight_smile:

I agree 100%