I just upgraded from Cubase 4 Studio to Cubase 6. I also did a Windows 7 upgrade from XP as a part of the process. That part of the process was all smooth, however, when I open my Studio 4 projects now, I am having tons of stuttering - the VST performance meter is peaking. They played without issue on the previous OS/version of Cubase I had.
Some other nuggets.
Just opening a project (song is not playing), CPU usage in Task Manager is 50-55%.
Just opening a project (song is not playing), VST Performance meter is at approx 75%
When the song is played, the VST Performance spikes frequently, and hence the stuttering.
I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Cubase 6 32 bit
HW is Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz
4 GB RAM
Audio interface is a MOTU 828 mk2
I have tried:
- Multi-processor setting in C6. If unchecked, the problem is worse
- Power boost setting. No observable effect on stuttering
- Different buffer size settings. Can influence the stuttering, but cannot find a setting that works enough
- The legacy 1394 firewire driver
- Switching between the MOTU ASIO driver and the generic one. The generic one seems to be a little better, but does not resolve the issue
The variables that have changed that now result in much slower performance are:
Windows 7, the MOTU 828mk2 driver being used for Windows 7, and the Cubase version itself.
Any help diagnosing this further would be appreciated, or anyone that has experienced a similar issue and resolved it will be greatly appreciated.